Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I know this is not recent and all, but I figured you would all still enjoy.

Here's the quick version:
Hadn't shot a bear for 5-6 years, waiting for "the big one".
Passed up a dozen or so in that time.
THis past year decided to shoot the first mature bear I saw.
Had a bait here in PI, but all night bears, no matter what I tried.

so I ended up going to my uncle for the last Saturday of the season.
Really didn't have too high of hopes, what are the odds of seeing a good bear the first night on a bait. The only thing that kept me positive was knowing he is a good guide who knows his baits and wouldn't tell me to sit at this bait unless my chances were good.
Bout 6:00 it happened.

(pic 1= my Uncle Harold and I, pic 2= my pup Samson and I, 3= me and Rifle)

Shot through the front shoulder with the Remington Model 700XCR RMEF in 300WSM shooting 165gr Triple X bullet did her in quick and clean.
She was not huge, but very fat belly and hind quarters - about 215 lbs live weight.

THougt I'd share it with you guys since it doesn't look like there's been a new bear thread in a while.

God is Love!
Justin

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey cool photos. Congrats on the bear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Justin,
any meat left from that bear?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not a whole lot
didnt take it all
the bear stayed really hot, as it never got below 70* that night, so we didnt keep much of it. didnt dare take the chance, I didnt think it would matter in that little time, but the guy who helped me skin it talked me into/outa it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dont't fret over it buddy, that is a common mistake of first time bear hunters. get a few more under your belt and it won't happen anymore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
hmmmmmm!!!! I know you have that one on the wall, and would of had one with the .454 casule, but had a "malfunction". I was under the impression that the one on the wall and the one from your uncle's stand made 2. Maybe I am wrong, has happened before. That would put you 2 behind me. I also got to thinking, does it count if you don't do it with a bow. Something to chew on my friend. I am sure you will have an answer for me (lol)
on a serious note, what do you think about shooting sunday, I think alot of this will melt and as long as it is not raining, I say lets do it. I have a hankerin' to use some of your .30-378 shells. later.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I have 2 on the wall, so that makes 3 = 1 less. And if it only counts with a bow, Im still only 1 behind as only one of yours has fallen from the bow- if Im not mistaken!!!

Im definately up for shooting this weekend.
ill be bringing the .257WBY, and if I dont get too stressed with it Ill bring out that cannon, but I only have 1 new box of shells for each, so hopefully it wont take too many to sight it in.

I contacted Conley Precision and they said nothing matches the 100gr TSX out of the 257 and nothing touches the 180gr TXS out of the 30-378. The owner likes to talk and is very helpful and friendly. He is the one who actually reaffirmed my choice for the weatherby in the 243.

anyway, well definately plan on sunday as long we dont get that storm

Later bud
God is Love!
Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts