Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bigbuck. I only saw snow for most of one day this hunting season in my area. I found 3 different buck tracks, and followed two of them. The first one I tracked for about a mile before giving up after seeing where a coyote had been following and jumped the deer, and the second track led me into a stand of jack-firs that was down right ignorant, and I lost the track. I ended up shooting my buck within 50 yards of where I had seen the only track I hadn't followed three days later in the rain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No snow at all where I was. I even checked for Bernier or Benoit names in the biggest bucks in Maine list and did not notice theme listed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Benoits don't register their bucks in the Biggest Bucks in Maine Club. I saw some of the bucks they shot this year...not sure where they got them. Dick Bernier just e-mailed me the other day. He told me that all of his recent bucks are in his new book. He doesn't put them on his website anymore. I wonder how many bucks are harvested each year "while tracking" when there is snow up there? That would be an interesting statistic. Of course every
Tom, Dick, and Harry would be claiming that they tracked him down!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
1st day out: We picked up track and followed less than 100 yards down tote, jumped him standing in some cedars......headed for brook. Cut him off and turned him back to hunter on stand. Persued him for about 1/2 mile... and he jumped brook. Gone.
Went 2 miles further back in on #9 road. Walked tote...caught track...followed about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Jumped does...buck slid out the back.
Took another road out that way .. cut a track and took a 4 mile swamp walk. Never saw the buck but he stopped twice to look at his back trail. Left him after the third ridge and he kept on travelling. (Blew my knee out crossng some blowdowns. Nasty fall.) Took a week for me to get back in woods.....season pretty much done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
long day

Hey BB200,

You know this one but I figured I'd share it with the others. Picked up on a good flatfooter early morning on Thanksgiving day. Followed for what seemed an eternity, saw where I had jumped him up a few times, saw a quick flash of tail once but was never able to get close enough to get a clear shot. I guess he got fed up with me being behind him and headed across the Canadian border. Damn that border crossing... He was a good buck. I had been on him all day. It took me 2-3 hours just to get back to a road, then I still had a few miles of walking to get back to my truck. Long day, but alot of fun. Too bad I wasn't able to capitalize.... Lost.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
#9 is the name of the road that runs out to #9 lake, Aroostook County. Out past Harvey Siding.... headed toward St Croix lake and further out to Squapan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aroostook,

I hunted just south of that area one year near Knowles Corner. I actually saw about 8 deer that week which I thought was pretty good!
No snow though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts