Maine Hunting Forums banner

Anybody shoot?

11K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  BRUINDOG 
#1 ·
We all practice at camp or in the backyard. Anybody go to the shooting range? Any good ones you like to go to?

#3 ·
The property we just purchased (127 acres) has a few gravel pits on it. I'll be setting up my own range again this summer. At least this time, no one can build close enough to tell me I can't shoot! Then I can start reloading again.

I use to love having the reload stuff always set up. I could load 3 test rounds, go out back and see how they grouped. Then go back in and fudge a little here or there and get the accuracy right down pat.

G
#4 ·
I usually shoot at Scarborough F&G, since my father-in-law is the range safety officer there. I normally shoot a couple of military matches a year, and check zero on the cartridge rifles before hunting season. I'll carry a cartridge rifle when guiding, but all of my personal hunting is done with either longbows or traditional muzzleloaders. I haven't shot a "normal" rifle at a deer for 6 years.

#7 ·
#10 · (Edited)
hey A.B. i tried to find a place to shoot up there in the county but i didnt there is a place out by the airport but i didnt like it...so now i am where i am and i can shoot all i want...:wave: by-by county

#11 ·
I use to do the reloading thing and shoot up a pile of rounds, but it gets a little spendy. I have a nice range I can use with tire piles for a backstop and benches, but range is limited to 150 yards. Most animals I shoot are at 50 yards or less, so it works for me. I shoot a few times a year with an Army Ranger buddy of mine, he has a spot to shoot 500 yards, and he can do it with great accuracy. We have trajectory scopes, but 500 is a long poke. I do alright, enough to hit a target, but he takes out 5 gallon milk jugs full of water, quite impressive.

#13 ·
I shoot a Remington BDL 7mm mag with match rounds when shooting long range. My buddy has a custom built 7mm mag with a glass bedded stock that floats the barrel for deflection purposes, it makes a big difference. It has a bull barrel as well and a set trigger that you only have to breathe on when ready to fire. He uses hand loaded rounds and likes hornady, but Ive seen him shoot factory rounds by hornady and still hit his target after a few adjustments.
He is sniper quality, if you know what I mean.

#17 ·
Yeah, I have 20 to be exact, my favorite is my 450 Marlin. Its light, compact, and cuts trees down if they get in the way. Great Bear gun, really thumps em, and should you hit bone, it still penetrates deep enough for a clean kill.

I used to have a 416 Rigby, but I got rid of it because they didnt sell a shoulder replacement kit with it lol!! Its Safari Grade, made for Plains game, would be a heck of a Moose gun.

For varmints I prefer my 243 and 223, they are flat shooting and when tipped with hollow points, they really explode on impact. All the calibers I shoot, I usually go with the lightest grain bullet I can get and use ballistic tips, Hornady sst's, or fail safe rounds, except for the Marlin of course, they have limited choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.