Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys used to guide hunters in High School... loved it. Have decided to pursue a license to specialize in Fishing...........Flyfishing.

Hunting last fall and working with Mooseguide07 has inspired me to go for my dream life. I want to live a life doing what I love to do.......hunt and fish.

The fishing guide idea is born of my intimate knowledge and love of fishing.

Does anybody have the study guide for the test.....they send out. Can anybody help me prepare for the oral board?What areas should I study and how best to prepare?

I would appreciate any help you can give..... Thank You.
:gitrdone:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prepare for test

There is no "study guide" that gets sent out. There is a list of recommended study material found at the if&w website. www.maine.gov/ifw/ click on Licenses and Registrations, then Registered Maine Guide. Or try www.maine.gov/ifw/licreg/guideresourcelist.htm This is a good start. I would also recommend The Outdoor Leader's Handbook by Gil Gilpatrick. Lastly, call Carroll Ware of www.finsandfursadventures.com Carroll puts on a great course that really prepares you for the Maine Guide examination. Good Luck, if you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Shawn Howard
Howard Bros. Guide Service
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I second the Carol Ware Guide School! Spend the money there and you will be TAUGHT instead of given all the answers like MOST guide schools!

I would never reccomend anything by Gil, he is one of the idiots who actually told me I wouldn't pass the orals unless I read his book! You are allowed to miss a few questions. Even Maine idians can't understand the crap Gil made up for the book!

Don't new guides have to 'apprentice' under a licensed guide?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Shawn will check it out.......
I was under the impression that there was a "Study guide" ... my mistake seems it is now a "resource list". All research done on one's own......no wonder some are opting for schools. Sounds like I may go that route as well.

Cannnot find any reference to an "apprentice" requirement.........

Back in high school I was in fact an "apprentice" under my uncle's license ... but seems that is no longer a requirement. At least not that I can find.

Already contacted Wares........ thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad to help, no there is no apprentice requirement, there are new rules about upgrading your license to Master. I believe you must be licensed for 10 years with 5 years of documented guide experiance. Thats about the only requirement after you get your license, you don't even need to maintain your first aid/CPR ! But of course you need to send in your money every 3 years. The state makes that rule very clear!

Shawn Howard
Howard Bros. Guide Service

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the help from everyone...on and off line. Even my wife......and my ex-wife,(go figure) .......think this would be a good move for me. Fishing is a central part of my life and always has been. My son who is six started fishing at 2 and can cast further than most adults I've seen. I start him on the flypole this summer. Open face reels was last summer....

Dare to dream........ and then just do it!
Thank you all
Brent

·
Registered
165 Posts
I took a class before I got mine, and I can say that out of 22 people, only 4 passed the first time. Back when I took it you could test for all three, hunting, fishing and rec, so you could become a master. I studied for a solid month and passed master, but the easiest was hunting by far for me. Fishing has alot of flyfishing facts and you must know the general law front to back. Map and compass is tricky if you dont know the difference between true and magnetic north and map orientation. Loss person senerio is the same as they use for the wardens service, so you can get that info from them, if you know a friendly one lol. Boating laws are also covered under fishing unless they changed it. Be prepared, it is not an easy test!! Carrol Ware is a good bet.
As for classes that give all the answers, there is still alot of retention of info, and it is not a guaranteed pass!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts