Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys ever tried baiting bear by using water as an access?

Especially in hard to reach spots, that get no foot traffic, baiting by water has great rewards. For one, the bear cannot circle you which makes it easier to watch a more confined area, and cut down on scent detection, with proper stand placement. It also gives you no bait trails to be patterned by smart bears, because you access the stand from the water, keeping it at your back. No lugging bait or equiptment far distances, the boat does the work, and short drags to the boat make getting them out much easier.
There are a few more big benefits, can you figure them out?

·
Registered
161 Posts
bruindog i agree with that statement. i like to use brooks and rivers whenever possible for two reasons. the first reason is bears like to use these as travel corridors because of the food and drink they supply, and the other is the sound of moving water does wonders to cover up the noise of an itchy hunter.many times my clients will tell me that the bears came in totally calm and even when they made some unitenional sounds the bears wouldnt even look up from their feeding. water is very important also to a bulked up on sweets bear. strings

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got the rights to place baits on a very remote lake in what I believe to be the best bear area in the state. I have been on a list to get baits there for 6 years and it finally went through. All baiting will be done by water, the tract of land behind goes for miles withouts road access and is perfect habitat. I am pumped to say the least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.