Maine Hunting Forums banner

Bears facing new "revised" trapping regs

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  aroostookbasser 
#1 ·
Anti's score one with MDIFW............ check Black Bear Blog!

Group threatens more regulation....WAM !!!!

Their Mission Statement:
"Members of the Wildlife Alliance of Maine are united in their belief that, while wildlife is vital to healthy ecosystems and to the quality of life Maine citizens enjoy, wild animals exist for their own sake: they have intentions, affections, attachments, a sense of home, and a value beyond their significance to humans. WAM will work to ensure that Maine citizens have the information they need to become effective voices for the conservation and protection of wildlife. "
:crazy:
Check Bangor Daily for more information.

#3 ·
I mean no disrespect for Skip Trask but you can see what has become of our hunters and trappers. We have "reluctantly" agreed not to fight the restrictions "knowing that it might cause the further loss of opportunities". Man, I'm telling ya! If this is really the attitude that's out there, it won't be long and the only shooting we'll be doing is with a camera.

I made note as well at the end of my post at the BBB, what Roland Martin, commissioner of MDIFW said,
“We’ve got to send a message out there,” Martin said.
I don't feel the BBB is the right forum to ask this question in this tone of voice but WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?????

I sent an email, of which I don't imagine I will get an answer to, to Kevin Miller who wrote the article in the BDN to ask him if Martin expounded on that open-ended statement that we got to send a message. If I get an answer, you'll know about it.

#5 ·
Now, Jack! I'm trying to bring you into this conversation because I know you have something to say about trapping, MDIFW and the antis. Now don't you?
:angel:

#6 ·
Ok, this topic was brought up in a meeting I attended with the MTA. I voiced my opinion on the use of steel jawed traps( I use them every yr and have pictures of trappers that I take out to harvest their first bear with a trap), they promised that I would be able to continue snaring them. I went out and bought a dozen snare systems this year to try my hand at it. Snaring is pretty easy but give me a steel jawed trap and I'll have your bear the first night he arrives at the bait.
Skip Trask is a great advocate for our best beliefs-- bar none. The reason he went this course is due to working with the MTA officers and also their members. Majority rules so us that wanted to stand up and fight the anti's were out numbered.
You want a Dept of IFW member that isn't with us trappers, just look to the head biologist of furbearers, Wally Jakubson (MS). We can no longer set muskrat floats in the spring with footholds due to his proposal the the commissioner, and also looks like we will be having a bag limit on fisher once again in Maine. The fisher studies I go along with but the rat trapping law is foolish in my book. Maybe I see it this way as I stand to profit from my spring rats and will have to change my approach this spring.

#8 ·
Who's standing up for the bees?

#9 ·
What's happening in Maine is what's happening and has happened in a lot of places. Hunting, trapping and fishing is being presented by even our fish and game departments as an outdated, unimportant "sport". We are losing those whe have always considered it a heritage, something to value, to pass down to our next generation.

Why do you think many states are changing their fish and game departments to to "natural resources" etc. It's not politically correct to call them fish and game. Game denotes hunting and trapping and that might offend someone. Even though these that might be offended don't pay a friggin nickle to the cause, they are making the demands and getting what they want because too few are willing anymore to stand up.

The names will change, a loss of access here and there, a rule change here and there, banning of this and that and the next thing you know we are all holding hands and singing Kum Bay Ya!!:crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.