Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hunt Antacosti Island? Ive heard mixed reviews, trophy hunters say the deer are small, but Im not looking for record scoring bucks, just a spot to take my son to get a few extra deer under his belt this year. He has yet to shoot a deer, he wont shoot anything under 6 points and I cant sway him. He is only 12 years old, he needs the experience, not to mention it would be fun taking him on a hunt in Canada.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can tell you that when I was 12 my Dad took me to Anticosti (Jupiter 24)and it was absolutely amazing. The whole trip was great, deer everywhere and yes i tagged out (Does). Now that I'm older (33) I can say that I have been back to Anticosti with friends, 5 out of the past 7 years. We stay at Camp MacDonald and the whole trip is still a great experience. Yes there are alot of deer, but you still have to hunt!

I havn't been back in 2 years but the last few times I went I took on the same position as your son. I only wanted to shoot big racks, 8 + points and believe me they are there. You could easily tag out with does on day 1, however that will make for a very long week at camp. The last 3 years I came back with nothing. A good sized rack of 8 will dress out at about 150+.

We would go in October and it was just too warm. I suggest going the second or third week on November as the bucks are much more prevalent. They come out of the deep woods for the rut.

The food is great, the guides are great, and the people you meet at camp can become great friends. Bring a camera and alot of film. I would definitely recommend going to Camp Macdonald (the only place I've been as well as Jupiter 24) because they just opened new hunting territories 2 years ago.

All this talk makes me want to book another trip!

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Feel free to e-mail me for more info, I'll try to dig up some picks and email them to you.

Dan
[email protected]

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have seen many videos of hunting deer on Anticosti with many, many deer harvested, and there are tons of deer there. However, I have never seen what I would call a nice buck..125" and up. I have talked to at least 3 different outfitters that are from Anticosti and they all said a nice buck is about 14-16 inches wide. That's only a 2 1/2 yr old around here. I think a kid would have a great time there because of the numbers of deer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been to Anticosti for the past 9 years and I'm booked to go back again this fall. I took my son up there this past year and we had a blast. I would definitely reccomend taking your son up there. You will see a lot of deer but if you're patient you can get a good buck. I'm not saying that you will get a B&C class, but a respectable wall hanger is very common and the meat is very good. Here are a couple pics of the bucks that we've taken up there. We go the first week in December and stay at Martin Le Mer with Sepaq. Willy13 and I have the entire camp booked. There are usually 8-10 guys that go with us, it's a great time.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Nice. Looks like a great place to go and hunt

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey cool pics. Looks like a good time. Plenty of snow.

·
Registered
254 Posts
oh man that's worse then Maine. 10 more years until my little guy can get a license. Might be worth a trip up when he's 6 though to get the bug set in him.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Who would you recommend getting in touch with to set up a hunt when my boy gets a little older? What do you guys that head up each year do? Fully guided, semi guided? Rent cabin and hunt yourselves?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Who would you recommend getting in touch with to set up a hunt when my boy gets a little older? What do you guys that head up each year do? Fully guided, semi guided? Rent cabin and hunt yourselves?

You have to have a guide/outfitter to hunt on the island. We use Sepaq, which is part of the Quebec Government. I would reccommend using them. We go on the European Plan (we cook our own meals). On the plan that we go on, they put you in a cabin, give you a guide, Crew Cab 4x4 pick-up and an ATV. Here is a link to the Sepaq Anticosti website.

http://www.sepaq.com/sa/en/forfaits_chasse.html

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you. It is interesting while I waited to hear back from people on this matter, I did a google search and had come upon this site. It is in my bookmarks now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We really like Sepaq. From the office staff to the guides they really seem to care whether or not you have a good time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Norm,

we go with the cheapest package possible....we buy our own food, cook for ourselves...They call it a guided hunt, but i have yet to see a go guide go in the woods..They drop us of shortly after daylight and pick us up at a time we request...They will help you get a deer out of the woods if you need help....It's not a guided hunt...But the guides do try to put you in good spots...pretty much they know where the deer are because they rely on reports from incoming hunters...It's a helluva place to take a young fella deer hunting..It does a world of good for there mental psychy. However, i would personally recommend going to the island yourself first..Its a very tough island to because its very thick woods, you will need to know your area well...Lance and I have been going for years, and we know some awesome deer crossing...i honestly believe we could tag out on bucks (4) the first day in the same spot, without moving...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have not been, but my Uncle has gone 2-3 times over the past few years and had a great time. I will go eventually.
As far as getting a "trophy" here's my views.
1. a trophy is in the eye of the beholder and a 130lb doe is as great a trophy to some as a 10pt buck.
2. Trophy is a relative term. Where you are from, a 20 inch wide 10-pt may be no big deal, but on Anticosti a 15'' 8-point is like a giant 12 anywhere else.
Just my 2-cents

Also, great pics, enjoy seeing them very much.
THanks for sharing!

God is Love!
Justin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Willy & Labb how far were the shots your boys had to take on their deer? Is it a great place for alot of action for the kids ?
I would like to take my boy out there at some point . Great pictures !!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Where do you go willy? That's some great questions Nate. I look forward to hearing more on those. I will have to plan a trip over the next few years. Heck my son is only 2 so unfortunately I have some time before he can go and carry a gun. Although I plan on taking him out with me this fall to experience some hunting around the house here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Taking the kids out in the field is the best feeling ever . Seeing the excitment on their faces is like nothing else. My son goes with me all the time but with Maine being age 10 to hunt I take him to New Hampshire or down South. He just turned 7 but boy does he love being out there. I dont understand Maine why they have an age limit. Starting kids early in my oppinion really developes there skills while learning about their heritage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hopefully by the time Kolten, my son is 6 or 7 they will have changed the minimum age. I have talked with Christ about your adventures and when my son is old enough going with y'all to Carolina. Until then though he will take off in the woods with me and learn the tradition without carrying a gun...for now..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts