Coyote Hunting Tournaments

Discussion in 'Maine Predators Hunting' started by kenton6, Feb 20, 2006.

1. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

I've been doing some research and following the news some on the coyote tournaments that have gone on in Vermont. The Howlin' Hills Coyote Event is scheduled for March 1, but one Representative is trying to get a bill through the Legislature that would prohibit coyote tournaments.

I blogged about it today at the Black Bear Blog http://mainehuntingtoday.com/bbb/?p=263

I've never been to any of the tournaments so I can't tell anyone anything about them except what I read and hear. I do remember last year there was a lot of press over the tournaments and not much of it was any good.

If you get all sides to the story, it sounds like what you normally hear when it comes to hunting issues - the antis line up on one side, the hunters on the other, although the guy in Vermont authoring the bill says he is a hunter.

Was wondering if anyone had ever been to one of these tournaments and if so, could they shed some unbiased views on what took place?

Unbiased meaning they have no affiliation with those who sponsor or host a yote tournament.

2. so did this joker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

I have been wondering........
    Do you think he actualy fired that double? and if he did how long do you think it took for the burn on his hand to heal?

4. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

He's an idiot. The part I like best is the dog headed in the opposite direction

5. First and foremost I can't say that I can officially be considered unbiased as far as coyote and other hunting contests because I routinely donate a scope for prizes in such contests. What I can say is that the arguments against these contests are a little absurd. Even from sportsman I get the argument against a big buck contest because they don't want to turn their hunting season into a competition. Now I enter several every year and I've never won, nor have I even bothered to weigh one in. I do think it would be cool if I did shoot a big one and win a few bucks and get a little glory out of it, but it's not going to prevent me from shooting a deer because I don't think I'll win anything out of it.

Recently I have donated a scope to a coyote contest run by Ben's Trading Post in Presque Isle. The guys that enter are guys that routinely hunt coyotes anyway. When the issue is coyotes any insentive for guys to go and shoot them I'm all for it. Much like this website these contests give sportsman a little comradery and something to talk about.

On a separate note I visited River's Edge Sports in Oquossoc yesterday and while talking to the owner about the crazy laws and regulations of the Rangeley lakes region he told me about the negative publicity he gets about the fishing contests and derbies he runs every year. For people to think that these contests encourage the needless killing of game species is a little uncalled for. The people who enter these contests are more than likely going to be out hunting or fishing anyway. Routinely at camp we'll all throw five bucks into a pot for the guy who catches the biggest trout out of the weekend. Someone is going to catch the biggest fish during the weekend whether we have a contest or not. Do we all keep every 7 inch brook trout that we catch thinking we'll win with it? Absolutely not. The animal rights activists will use anything, and I mean anything to try to hurt sportsmen, our heritage, and our constitutional rights. The bottom line is that banning hunting contests is not going to stop me or any of us from hunting or fishing.

6. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Nice post Steve. But I have to disqualify you because it is obvious you are toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo biased.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I've had my share of losses when it comes to fishing and hunting contests for deer but I've never been to a yote derby. How are they run?

7. The one at Ben's trading post is the first one I've really gotten much information on but his rules are pretty simple.
    1. Coyotes must be shot between specified dates
    2. Coyotes must be shot legally by the person registered in the contest
    3. Coyotes mouths must be propped open so he know's nobody shoved lead weights or anything down its throat.
    Other than that the guys just have to shoot some dogs! I guess they do pretty well on the rivers up there with bait and shacks at night.