Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our discussions about deer management problems for northern Maine, it is being brought to the discussion that there are two things having the most affect on the deer population - coyote and lumbering operations. (Personally, I believe the biggest is weather but we can't control that)

This is our predator forums, so let's begin a discussion about coyotes and share observations and suggestions of how to deal with too many coyote.

I have been involved with forums for a long time and I realize that often we all participate in the embellishment of stories as well as share anectodal evidence much of which can be second or third hand information or just plain rumors. For the purpose of this discussion, please make every attempt at keeping your observation to those you have personally witnessed.

I have heard many times suggestions of instituting a bounty. If this were to happen, two big questions I have are, 1) How much would the bounty have to be to get hunters and trappers out, and 2) Who is going to fund this?

As a hunter and/or trapper, are you willing to pay an extra $1, $2, $3, or $?? for your license if that money were specifically designated for coyote bounty?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stweedie,

Ben's contest..... what were the prizes etc.?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you're saying the contest was based on the biggest yote. What would happen if it were based on who registered the greatest number?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I enjoy the passion of a good debate that shows how we all feel about issues. I don't think anyone here is overstepping any bounds at all. I think the AB feels strongly for what he is doing. And yes Jack, it is focused just on Aroostook. If nothing else it has generated some discussions. In the long run, we can only hope it all does some good somewhere.

One of the things I love the most about hunting, is when you become witness to seeing someone who has deep seeded past, experience, and a true love of the sport in them. It's that fight with passion that will keep hunting and trapping alive.

You're right Jack, we are at war. Any and all discussions we have should be geared toward strengthening the hunting coalition in Maine - all working for the same goal of protecting our heritage and making it better. There are bumps in the road and we will get over them fine.

I agree with Jack that we as sportsmen have to look at the complete picture when it comes to hunting, fishing and trapping in Maine. Actually, it goes well beyond that. It HAS to encompass all aspects of outdoor sports - i.e. snowmobile, ATV, hiking, fishing, hunting, trapping, skiing, etc. etc. A true sportsman is one that embraces all outdoor sports even if they don't indulge.

Back to the topic. I would like to ask the question to anyone who can answer it, "Is there any hope of bringing the snare back?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.