District 27 -drew for 2016 need recomendations on where moose are

Discussion in 'Maine Moose Hunting' started by gahuntrr, Aug 21, 2016.

1. I,ve never been to Maine before; but drew district 27 for october hunt; any timber company lands(clearcuts); how to access?

2. Austin

Austin Staff Member Admin Super Mod Mod

Welcome to MaineHunting! Hopefully one of the guys will be along shortly to help you out.

Thanks for joining!

3. Contact Prentiss and Carlisle.....they are the map makers who map the woods for lumber companies and their maps are essential to hunting north of Bangor!

4. Kind of a tough zone, but doable- I have lived in the Pembroke area, and in Quoddy Village and in Lamoine, but the first two for not some time. Not a lot of paper land but mostly smaller privately owned tracks if I recall correctly, a few state owned too. I think Google Earth or Bing Map the areas around the lakes along the more northern boarder of the zone, as I've seen many more moose up around route 9 then around route 1, might be a good pre-scouting idea, but I have seen them near the salt- heck saw one walking down the main hill in downtown Eastport one evening (it is Moose Island). That area just East of the Moosehorn use to have a lot of dirt roads and quite a few small lakes and ponds, and I feel there is a reason that the named it The Moosehorn, plus I've seen a few brutes in there. There are some ATV trails up in 27 also if you have access to a couple, and don't rule out getting off the beatin trail and hike a little to find a hidden gem. Good luck!