Do you tie?

Discussion in 'Welcome Mat and Lounge' started by kenton6, Mar 21, 2005.

1. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

How many fly fisherman tie their own flies?
    I have tied only a few for myself. I just don't have the time to put into it.
    If anyone knows locations throughout Maine that offer fly-tying classes maybe some of our forum people would be interested.

2. Canerod

Canerod Guest

Chandler Pond Outfitters and Eldredge Bro.s both offer tying classes, for those that live in the Southern part of the state. Mike at Fly Fishing Only in Fairfield has some tying get togethers, not sure if he has a formal class arrangement. If anyone is interested in the Bangor area, I have tied for 20 years and taught for the last 4, usually beginners classes. Most of the good commercial tyers are too busy to deal with the hassle of teaching a class. Most fly shops that sell tying materials would be glad to help a new tyer get started off on the right foot.

With all that said, I tie for myself and my family, for clients who book my guiding services and sometimes, for customers who ask. Between making bamboo flyrods, guiding, and getting to hunt and fish myself, commercial tying takes a backseat.

Kevin

3. I tie just about every fly I use. Once I get into it (usually after ice-fishing ends and before the fishing gets good in the brooks and rivers) I tie a pile of flies. Mostly marabou streamers, hornbers, and muddlers. I've never gotten real good at tying dry flies. Have to fork over the cash for a few hendricksons every year.