Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday morning at 4:45 AM my son and I arrive at our favorite haunt. Shortly after setting our decoys and settling into our blind a chorus of gobbles starts in. We have been watching this flock for quite a while and came very close on several nice Toms on youth day. Shortly after five I see a truck slowing down and parks right behind mine. I let out a few calls to let the big guys know were we are (and to let the nimrod know the truck parked five feet from his is another hunter) and receive a response from several Toms. About five or ten minuets later I hear loud crashing about 20 yards behind us. At this point I am concerned that this nimrod sees our decoys and may be stalking them so I flash my flash light in the direction of the noise. The walking stops for a minute then continues on.

The birds continue to gobble back at me when suddenly three quick shots ring out. At this time several birds come out of their roost at about 50MPH and fly right past my son and I. The woods become silent for about 10 minutes when two or three more quick shot rings out. In the course of about an hour, 12 or 13 shots were fired through out the area buy this guy. My educated guess is that the first series of shots wounded a bird and he next hour was spent chasing and shooting. Around 6:15 I see the Nimrod walk across the field and up the road to his truck with a bird. Needles to say the remainder of our morning proved fruitless.

Maybe I am wrong but I think this Nimrod lacks any basic sense of courtesy or etiquette. In any event thanks for letting me vent. We will be back after them Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Depending on the situation, I believe I would have been AT his truck to inform him it is illegal to shoot a turkey in a tree and I also think I would have made a call to 1-800-game-thief !
Yes, it IS legal to be ignorant or stupid but you can't fix stupid! (Ron White)

It's good he got his bird as that was all he was out for! Some people forget about the "HUNT" part and only focus on the kill.
Good luck Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'ld like to add that what he was doing was also against the law within the statutes. It is illegal to haress or impede a hunter while he is legally hunting. This law was originated to stop the anti's ..but maybe we should extend our use of it to stop the slobs !!!!!!! Another thing here is that he was knowingly discharging a firearm recklessly in an area that he knew someone else was hunting in and could have accidently hit with stray pellets. In camo a hunter is nearly invisible..of you aren't looking for him.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That is too bad, Public ground hunting is only as good as the level of respect we give each other. Guy like that are how land gets posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
People like that have no respect for nature or anybody eles for that matter.
With all that happened to you it is sad you son had to be witness to someone so unethical.
Next time ( hopefully never) get the guys licence plate # and call the wardens.
People like that do not deserve to be in the woods .
Anti people love stuff like this just more fuel to the fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts