Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a bill proposal to expand the fall turkey season.
Bill Sponsors:Senator NUTTING of Androscoggin Cosponsored By: Senator BRYANT of Oxford
Representative BRYANT of Windham
Representative CARTER of Bethel
Representative GIFFORD of Lincoln
Senator GOOLEY of Franklin
Senator HASTINGS of Oxford
Representative JACKSON of Allagash
Representative PRATT of Eddington
Representative SAVIELLO of Wilton
Representative TIBBETTS of Columbia

An Act To Expand the Fall Wild Turkey Hunting Season
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. Wild turkey hunting. In 2008, the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife shall extend the fall wild turkey hunting season and the number of wildlife management districts available for hunting wild turkeys. The Commissioner shall allow the taking of male and female wild turkeys and the use of any legal weapon during the extended season.
summary​
This bill requires the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to expand the fall wild turkey hunting season.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume that it refers to whatever the Commissioner deems a legal weapon for hunting turkeys, i.e. whatever it is now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think they are trying to bring the guns out. If that is the case, I hope they keep it short and near the end of Oct. I like the woods silent in Oct for me and the bow.

I know people can already use guns for small game in Oct, but they are not in the fields where most are bowhunting. I love the fall hunt and love the chance to get a turkey with the bow. If they are just giving that more time, I am all for it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am up in the air. I know in NY they can use guns in the fall and I don't hear much from the bowhunters. I would be game to try anything once and see how it goes.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might be wrong and if I was it would be the first time, LOL, but even though this proposal doesn't spell out any specifics, I think the intent is to give the Commissioner more flexibility with the issuing of seasons and bag limits.

With a growing turkey population, certain WMDs may need a bit longer season and/or changing of bag limits. This proposal is very non-specific in nature so we can only assume until after in gets discussed in committee what's on the mind of the sponsor.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe MDIFW has released any numbers yet. If I'm wrong can someone jump in here with numbers?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Acording to the IF&W 2006 mangement report, only 2,000 people bought a fall permit and only 157 hunters got a bird. Can this be right?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably. The spring hunt is by far more popular than the fall hunt.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did ya get a bird? 157 seems low. 2000 arrows flying around from the worlds most skilled archers (maine folk) somebody would have to get something.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If/when they give you a turkey permit when you buy your hunting license, I'll hunt & tag one. Then I could see buying extra tags for extra birds since we do have more than enough!

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For anyone interested, the MDIFW legislative committee will be discussing this proposed bill on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 1:00 p.m. in the Cross State Office Building - Phone number. 287-1338

If you can't attend the meeting, send an email to any or all of the members of the committee.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is a good point to start the fall program, Up-State New York has it, and they have a great population. I have hunted there several times, but I can say, we have more birds in certain parts of the state than they ever dreamed of, so we need to thin them out a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.