Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Here's a question for ya. I am going to be getting my LEFTHANDED daughter her first rifle this summer/fall. She is 4.5yrs old. I am looking for opinions on what is out there and available that would be good for her. My inclination is to get a decent .22lr from Savage that is a left handed bolt gun. They are the only ones who really have one. I think a bolt gun is better because she can function the action, unlike a semi or a break open. I want a single shot, but I can't find a lefty single bolt gun.

Any thoughts?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Savage sounds like a good bet, I don't have a savage .22, but I do have a savage 30-06. It is accurate and was $150 cheaper than the closest compeititor as far as price is concerned.
I think the bolt sounds like a good choice for a kid, it lets you actually participate in the operation of the gun, not just the firing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ccobbett, I don't want to freak her out too much right off. I'll let her shoot the .50Beowulf AR a week or so after she gets used to the .22lr...

WUHOOOOOO!!!

Actually, I had some 9-12yr old boys as neighbors back a while ago and they shot my Browning Abolt in .30-06 without a flinch. They had shot before of course, but it has the BOSS on it and is a kittycat to shoot. We were shooting a pumpkin, and the younger boy shot and I said, "you missed it!", and he said, "no I didn't, I was aiming for the stem and I shot it off!" Sure 'nough, he had shot the darn thing right off!

·
Registered
489 Posts
AB: He said she is lefty. I shoot lefty (I'm right handed, but left eye dominant) and while you can shoot a right handed bolt gun lefty it is not a very nice experience as you have to dismount the rifle every time you want to work the bolt. I agree that the cricket would make a good kid gun, but it would only be an OK one if you were lefty.

I don't know what particular model you were looking at curlymaple but they do make a youth model if that is what you were looking for:
http://www.savagearms.com/markiigly.htm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ithaca, that is the Savage rifle I was looking at. I got Scott at KMW Gunsmithing in Parsonsfield looking at that and to see if there is anything else out there. I want her to be able to function the rifle right from the start with proper training. I might get her a Handi-gun for a shotgun or rifle though when she moves up in the world.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
ya all sat ( LEFT HANDED ) LIKE ITS A BAD THING ! had a shooting instructor in the service say to me i could'nt shoot competition because i was a lefty showed him shere the bear shits in the woods took states then national's with the M-60. (BUT ANYWAY) start the little one off with something she can handle dont scare her she's our future of hunting just remember that !

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swamp, lefty is not a bad thing. Her grampa is a lefty shooter and my best friend (who she just adores) is a lefty too. I am a righty and I gotta say, the best hunting partners, in terms of bird hunting, are lefties. I walk on the left, he walks on the right because of your shooting direction based on which shoulder you snap up to. It's great! But anyways, you are VERY right about not scaring her. I have talked to so many women who some asshole boyfriend or relative slapped a .357mag or 270 or something at them and had them fire it and it knocked them on their ass. If you don't know what recoil feels like, you can't expect it when it hits ya. Well all those women never picked up another gun because it was not a good experience. I have weened some of them back though.

Scott at KMW did find me something by the way! Savage DOES have a Mark II lefty youth model!! He can also get me a 5rd mag that fits flush to the stock, not sticking out the get in the way. She's only going to shoot single shot to start, so no need to have extra crap hanging around. Price is right about $200 with extra mag too. It has the Accutrigger too! He said his boys had youth models and he and them use them still now that the boys have grown. I know I love partridge hunting in the brush with my wife's Youth and Ladies 20gauge because it is so compact. If a full size stock is needed though, I know a woodworker...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I shoot lefty and have no problem with the only down side is that most guns are for righthanded shooters, but luckily savage makes a ton of different models in lefty versions...
I have read that it is estimated about 20% of shooters shoot lefty (15% and left handed and about 5% are right handed but left eye dominant like me) so I think it is interesting that there aren't more companies making lefty products. Having said that there have been improvments recently, there was a time when you couldn't even get a lefty gun, although I am too young to have experienced it.

A 5rd magazine would be much nicer than that silly they have sticking out of the bottom, who needs that anyways? I don't have a savage rimfire, but I do have one of their centerfires. I love it, always go with the woodstock, their plastic ones are crap. The accutrigger is awesome, no creep and is really easy to adjust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.