Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone must have there own foul weather tactics. i use to be one of those people that stayed home on those nasty fall days. how about letting some young people like me (18 ) in on your foul weahter tactics tips and tricks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Well, I plan on being out and in my stand a half hour before first light. I set up on escape routes and you have to be in before everyone else gets out of the hunters breakfasts.

As for the expected foul weather in Saturdays forecast, I'll be dressed in polypropylene long jons and wool bib coveralls, wool vest and fleece coat. If it rains you'll get wet but you will stay warm. Dress in layers, this keeps the wind out and allows you to add or strip off a layer or two if you're walking.

Here's another tip for you youngsters... Hunt near the thickest fir/hemlock areas you can find [in foul weather]. If you hunt around uncut fields, walk straight across them several times and pay attention. Sometimes the really big bucks like to be out in the wide open in the worst weather. Oh, and watch for steam rising out of the middle of a field.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I bundled up for bad weather saturday. Stayed on stand until about 9 am. The ice pelletts were hitting me sideways. I came to the harsh reality I did not want to kill a deer that bad. I went and got a warm meal. Then stayed inside and watched people hunt on TV. I was so much happier. LOL

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What do you all wear on those freezing cold days? I try to walk and stalk as much as I can on cold days to keep the blood flowing. I like sitting in a stand on the warmer days. :-D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sat in one of my stands until it started to rain. I stalked until noon. It was rainy and a little windy but good for stalking. I have a Cabela's Revolution Fleece suit in Dry-Plus. I was warm and stayed dry.

It was really stormy in the afternoon, so I bagged it. Passed up one crotch-horn around 10 AM.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll write about everyday i go into the woods deerhunting so you more skilled hunters can give me some insight on if i should have done somthing different or not. feel free to post your day hunt too!

well i was walking to my fields out back at about 6:30. got to the fields jumped one on the way in there. once me and my girlfriend got settled on a rock wall in the middle of the field we sat for about 30 - 45 mins and something was urging me to move and go and check out the other fields that connect to the field that i was in. so me and my GF walk across the one field that we were watching i got about 100 yds from where a atv trail crosses into the other field and i noticed somthing brown in the field and then i saw it move and reconized what i was looking at was a deer. i let my GF know that there were deer in front of us and told her to keep low so we could get closer so i could check them out. they were heading for another rock wall that separates two fields. they were walking broadside to us. i got up to the opening in the field and saw it was a doe and two yearlings that probally wieghed about 100 lbs each and the mother wieghed im guessin about 130. i get settled on my knees and my GF wanted to see so she starts to creep up so she could see and the doe spots the movement but doesnt really know we were so she is peering at us and i told my GF that i was going to take her so i didnt jump the crap out of her and i knew that i had to make a quick shot so i clicked the safety off and pulled the trigger not squeezed it. but this time it is down pouring and me and my GF go and look for blood and i noticed that three tails jump the treeline so i knew right then and there that i missed her. it was about 150 yd shot in the rain in wind in wide open fields. all the rain and wind didnt seem to be bothering them at all they were walking and acting normal. i shot about 8:15 that morning. i was dumbfounded to see them walking right across the field in the rain and wind. not to bumbed out though. just happy to shoot at one anyways and gets my hopes up for the rest of the season.

went and sat in the field treestand today. got my butt kicked around by the wind. nothing seen today nothing even spooked walking in or out. friend went to sit in a treestand in the woods closer to my house didnt see nothing but ran into another hunter. both didnt see nothing either. :( plenty days left! went in around 4:00 and out by 5:00. had school and some errands to run after so didnt really get that much time in the woods today. going up to madison tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
maine hunter, what part of maine are you from? I'm from RI but i always go up to hunt on my grandparents land in madison. I'm actually heading up this weekend.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i hunt in fairfield. it is inbetween waterville and norridgewock. you probally go right by my house probally going to madison. maybe we can get together to hunt or something?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10/31/06 = well my hunting partner and my GF and I went to madison to hunt around there. about 4:00 we walk past this field and notice this really BIG buck with two does. we get all excited start to set up then relized that it was posted 9 ways to sunday. so we moved on. nothing else seen just that big buck. bumbed out about that one.

11/1/06 = well got out of school and got home around 2:15 grabed a quick bite to eat then went out around 2:45. went to my other hunting buddies treestand that is right behind my house about a 5 minute walk. its over looking a cutting that was cut about 3 years ago. i put some natural doe urine out and tried some estrus bleats and some young buck grunts. alot of squirrles out today. nothing seen today. came home and found out it was suppose to rain tomorrow so now i wish that i would have gone out to the field treestand. they were probally feeding hard this evening. give it another shot tomorrow

·
Registered
46 Posts
i still hunt and track when it is nasty. THe other day i tracked a basket racked 6 pt may be dressed 150, down and let him live another day. bare ground tracking it hard, but witha bed of leaves on the ground u can do it. It is hard to determine the age of the track, i found a fresh scrape and fallowed the tracks leaving it... going upta camp on sat evening. hunting The forks, Jackman, moosehead area for 2 weeks.. any one want to go.. email me.. mfm

·
Registered
46 Posts
i still hunt and track when it is nasty. THe other day i tracked a basket racked 6 pt may be dressed 150, down and let him live another day. bare ground tracking it hard, but witha bed of leaves on the ground u can do it. It is hard to determine the age of the track, i found a fresh scrape and fallowed the tracks leaving it... going upta camp on sat evening. hunting The forks, Jackman, moosehead area for 2 weeks.. any one want to go.. email me.. mfm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.