Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was one hunt for the books for sure . I set up on this bird at O-dark-30 and at 4:20 he was gobbling his head off. I made one soft tree call and the next thing I knew him and his hen fly down and come straight for the decoy with her in the lead cackling to beat the band. Problem was it was so dark I wasn't sure if it was legal light so I opted not to shoot. I wanted good light to video this awesome show. Well it got light and the birds had kinda made their way down this small field about 90 yds away so I pulled the Phantom Mini and gave it a whirl . The Tom went nuts but never moved strutting around but what happened next is something I have never witnessed in the turkey woods . The hen starts yelping and cackling so I gave it right back to her with my mouth call and the Phantom mini that's when she went into strut that's right strut ! I am not talking about puffing up walking in to the decoys I mean full strut pushing her wings forward and everything.
With all the hen calling the old Tom just couldn't take it and strolled in for a 30yd shot . He hit the dirt almost with in feet of where I harvested my 24 lb 7 oz two years ago . Talk about being lucky.
The camera was rolling and boy was it going to be some show people just wouldn't believe .
After I shot I went to my bird and was shocked at how much Gold color was in his feathers . Is that awesome or what !
Back to the truck I was calling everybody to share in my success .
I rewound the tape to see what I had and I hear a click noise ( not good) ya the camera ate the tape wonderful !
I may have not got this hunt to tape but it will live with me forever and boy was it worth it!
My Maine bird came in at 21 lbs 2 oz 10.25 beard 1 inch spurs . Not to shabby .

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Nice! Congrats Nate!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Awesome pics Nate... :pidu:

·
Registered
558 Posts
You suck.....no video getting [email protected]#$$%. Just messing with ya buddy. I know first hand stuff can and does happen. But its like the kids say "Uncle Nate its for fun." and you got a great bird. Congrats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts