Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Trust me, your in for a long road, if you want to advertise, you have to hit the sporting shows, but without proven experience or success rates, your dead in the water. So many guides out there these days that its a crap shoot, not to mention the economy!! Dont put all your eggs in one basket, offer all types of hunts if you want to go full time, and put a cheap price on the deal until you can prove yourself. Lastly, be prepared to loose money when you get started, if you dont have a nest egg to get started, better work on that first!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This is exactly why Maine needs to adopt an apprentiship program.

My advice is to enjoy your camp with family and friends and find an outfitter to guide for, for minimum of two years. Volunteer at the shows with the outfitter and take his "overflow" if he has any. And since this is a very tight community (guiding/sporting camps), your 'WORD' is your lifeline!
Have you taken any "small business" courses?
You never did say what you were guiding for.
Aroostook is a lot of hours (driving) from CT, NJ, NY, PA, i.e. money central!

I wish you the best, but like Bruin said...you're in for a long haul!

p.s. Did you get your license through a guide school? If so, which one was it and why didn't they cover this subject?

·
Registered
165 Posts
As the Cap'n said, its ah good bet tah ride on the coat tails for experience, believe you me, guidin is hard business, there's alot tah learn. Just dealing with hunters will drive most men crazy, gotta learn tah lay down the law, but yet keep em happy!! Practice on ah few friends of friends if yah have to, believe me, tryin to get hunters tah understand ah guided trip for deer dose'nt mean they will kill a deer, just means there in ah good spot, its up to them to sit still, stay on stand, control sound and smell, and most important, shoot straight!!
I could get more in depth about the most important part, but lets just say that I would rather spend my time dragging!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.