Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many members here at MHF are members of and support the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
not me where do i sign up ?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack, Jack, Jack! I think I know probably what you deleted! :slapfloor:

There is a reason I am asking. I am not a member. Never have been. Probably never will.

It appears as though there is quite a bit of controversy, more so than normal, between George Smith and many sportsmen, particularly over this year's legislative proposals dealing with fishing issues.

More specifically, the bill to ban four species of fish as live bait (LD163) and LD285 which would close by some estimates an additional 500 bodies of water in Maine to the use of live bait fishing.

I read at another message board that George Smith always claims that SAM has like 14,000 members. They said he always begins his addresses in Augusta by stating that claim. Some have disputed those numbers saying there are nowhere near that many "paid" members.

I am trying to find out if any of you think this is true.

I also have another question, of which I don't want anyone to take the wrong way. In other words, I have no alterior motives, aspirations or ambitions. I just want what is best for Maine sportsmen.

Here's the question: Is it time for George Smith to go?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
But I thought Georgey boy OWNED Sportsmans Aliance of Maine!

My opinion?

George Smith is a LIAR!

George Smith is a HYPOCRIT!

George Smith takes FREE vacations to exotic places on the money S.A.M. members put in and rich people donate!

George Smith will do ANYTHING that puts OPM (other peoples money) into his personal bank account.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

GET POLOTICS OUT OF IF&W

GET IF&W OUT OF NON-GAME MANAGEMENT, that belongs to dept. of conservation.

GET IF&W OUT OF SEARCH & RESCUE

GET GEORGE SMITH AND HARRY V. OUT OF S.A.M.

With "friends" like Smith, who needs democrats?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything you describe Jack about George Smith, accurately describes a lobbyist.

I know there are the "usuals" that think George Smith should go. I'm trying to find out if that sentiment is growing.

Whether you are a member of SAM or not, what SAM does affects us all. All too often the dummies in August think that whatever George Smith says reflects the vast opinions of Maine sportsmen.

You don't have to be a paid member of SAM to have an opinion about SAM's effects on OUR hunting, fishing and trapping.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe a few of us should show up at the sportsmans show this weekend and give George the 20 questions routine!
If a few get kicked out of the show when the media is there, we might get interviewed and let IF&W know we don't stand with him!

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack,

From what I understand, you'll have to stand in line.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No SAM for me, they are worst than DIFW!!
The bait thing is a joke, they are in the lakes, ponds, streams, and they are never going to be wiped out, so why ruin the livelyhood of the trappers and bait dealers. What is happening to this Sate?
Another interesting read in the Morning Sentinel, now biologists are saying it's perch that cause algea problems in lakes. They eat too many zooplankton, which feeds on algea, thus causing blooms in lakes. They are now going to net them and kill them, take them to a fertalizer plant to be recycled.
Should be interesting!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No SAM for me, they are worst than DIFW!!
The bait thing is a joke, they are in the lakes, ponds, streams, and they are never going to be wiped out, so why ruin the livelyhood of the trappers and bait dealers. What is happening to this Sate?
Another interesting read in the Morning Sentinel, now biologists are saying it's perch that cause algea problems in lakes. They eat too many zooplankton, which feeds on algea, thus causing blooms in lakes. They are now going to net them and kill them, take them to a fertalizer plant to be recycled.
Should be interesting!!

The bait thing shouldn't even be an issue...IF&W introduced SPLAKE, a genetically altered fish! Talk about an invasive specie!
At least bass and the four minnows on the "list" have been here in Maine for at least fifty years they know about!
If they would outlaw ALL commercial smelt fishing and tighten regs on personal smelt fishing to "single hook and line" only, we could quickly improve brook trout and salmon fisheries.

The white perch causing East ponds algie is complete BS! Try looking at the shorefront homes and seasonal camps converted to year round in the last ten years for the problem. Septic tanks, leachbeds and antiquated systems cause that green color in lakes.
White perch my ass! Now we are paying for a public service to supply free fertilizer to a PRIVATE FARM!?!?
It had to happen on John Baldacci's watch! Talk about a political clique!

It's time Maine Sportsmen wake up and small the bacon. This kind of pork-fat stinks to high heaven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts