Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
kenton, I believe you are correct. Its been stated that alot of bucks up north may die of old age. This is due to never coming in contact with hunting pressure. Go to Central Maine and south and I believe the deer age is lower due to hunter population, car/deer conflicts, and house dogs/coyotes.
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
bigbuck200,
This is a question that I don't think can be answered for any given year. The reason I say this.... To grow headgear a buck must eat alot of feed. If we have a year of drought, then the racks could just be basket racks. A good year where there is plenty of grass,corn, apples and plenty of nuts--a 2 yr old deer could have a massive set of antlers. Was told many years ago by a biologist that for a deer to produce a quality rack-- 90% of his daily take of protein must go into his rack. That only leaves 10% for his body-- so that deer must be in great shape throughout the year for his antlers to get to trophy size.
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Glad you mentioned mushrooms. We harvest what we call oysters and also bears heads up here in the Patten area. Its a race between humans and deer to who gets what. They will stretch an unbelievable height just to get a morel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
stweedie just made a great post. If one does pass up the smaller deer, we will have very few trophy bucks to hunt.
Myself personally, during rifle season will not shoot a smaller buck. I use the expanded archery season to fill my tags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Well you did mention a swamp, so they could be living on sweet ferns or even aquatic plants, not neccessarily in the water but what grows nearby. Deer also eat leaves, such as maple. But there must be some food mast that you haven't found or these deer would move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Thats why to be a trophy hunter you should have a flexible schedule. I tell everyone, I am unavailable from mid October until mid December. That way I can hunt everyday in a few different states but still play the snow game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Read an article that was printed in 2002. It stated that between 30%-40% of the bucks killed in northern Maine are around 4.5 yrs in age. It also stated that it was due to light hunting pressure. I am not sure how accurate this it, but it's a darn good starting point.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top