Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I think the answer to those questions are kind of all over the place. It depends on the hunter really.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I recall a deer shot by one of the Bennett boys from Newry weighing around 250 lbs and it was a small 4 point rack. It was odd looking on such a heavy deer.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I think this was back in the early 70s and if I remember correctly, there were several years in a row when there was very little mast crop. I don't remember the mushroom situation. There always seem to be apples somewhere unless there was a lot of damage to blossoms in the spring.

I do remember that year not seeing many big racks around that area. You could always count on the Bennett boys to find the big ones. They would sleep out on mountain tops for days at a time tracking the big one.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I remember as a kid seeing for the first time on an ice fishing trip, watching deer standing on their hind legs and stretching for cedar browse. They nearly resembled giraffes.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Hunting on snow is fun but it can make you a bad hunter. JP, I think the 4.5 year average is still good to go. If it's changed much it is insignificant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.