Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got donuts & Pastries for sale?
Im looking for 15 drums, and tubs of frosting if its out there!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got drums for sure, thanks for the heads up!!
As for local Nissen, been there done that for years, aint shucken no more bait, call me a wuss, but Ill pay the price for the good stuff!!
Shucked 35 barrels one year and gave it up for good, know what I mean?

·
Registered
161 Posts
bruindog seems like you are new to baiting. ive been doing it since 1981 and there aint no easy way to handle the bait thing . i use @ 80 drums of bait per year.thats just pastries and such, forget about the caramel and other goodies . yeah its work but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. if you need caramel i have it in good quanties let me know i will PM with a price. as far as pastries go i cant get enough and i get them by the trailer load. strings

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need for bashing, Ive been baiting for 23 years!! I just prefer the real deal, donuts & pastries, that is what I have seen that works the best, so I stick to it. My baits hold multiple bear and usually draw the bear off baits in the area, thats a proven fact. If you like haulin weighted down buckets, more power to you, but as my saying goes smarter not harder!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just curious, What part of Maine do you hunt BD? Nates bait is also unshucked, I think he is getting rid of some as he is almost out of barrels.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CC, my last 3 years were in Ashland, but I decided to go back to the Sugarloaf region this year. I will also have a few baits around Moosehead Lake. I have less hunting pressure in these areas, and bigger Bear!!
I stopped guiding bear, my son insists on getting a 300 plus this year, so Ill pound nails in between hunts and hunt him 2 or 3 times a week until we score. I will be the camera man, didnt tape his last two kills, so I guess I need to step it up!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about it Nate, can yah help a feller out??
I can get plenty of barrels, plastic with screw top lids, or metal with snap rings, super clean food service type!!
I might also be able to get pie filling in drums, strawberry, raspberry, peach and lime. I used lime one year and they went crazy over it, liked it better than the others. Just got to make a call and see if he is getting it again this year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well we get $100 barrel shucked and $60 not shucked barrel included. Maybe we can work something out . I have alot of time into getting bait through out the year. Shucking it takes time and I pack the barrels average wt 280 to over 300lb per barrel .
Call me or email me 1-207-632-0823 [email protected]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No answer strings? Where yah stationed? Are yah tending all the baits yourself? Are they all yours? When I first got in the game, I worked for ah Guide that had 225 baits, no sleep, hardly anything tah eat, miles of remote roads an dragged 4 to 5 bear per night, not counting following up on dead leads if you know what I mean. Then came the skinnin and quartering, Guides quittin in the middle of the season cause they could'nt hack it, nope, not a rookie!! If this sounds familiar, you got my respect!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run about 12 baits in Maine and 8 baits in NH with by buddys . But I have been supplying bait for three operations in New Brunswick and two others in Maine .
I like baiting bears with my young son we put up trail cameras and get alot of photos . Its just great being out there my baits are quite a bit off the beaten path . With doing this it takes longer to bait but when hunters go on stand they really feel like they are in the middle of no where.
I have had better success with bigger and multipal bears going to the sites being out away from the rds.
Anybody need bait just give me a call I am will to work something out ya.
Thanks
Nate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remote is key for sure, but the biggest I ever saw on stand was eyesite of the road by birds view, he was pushing 500, no bull, he busted me after I swung my rifle to shoot and hit the stand with my muzzle, never had a shot.
He dwarfed the 55 gallon drum I had out for bait, I was so shook up I thought I was going to have a heart attack!! Never saw him again, but I dream about him every time I sit on stand ( which aint often ), keeps me still and quiet as a mouse!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts