Maine Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is about a 2,000 acre parcel of land that abuts Baxter State Park as well as sits north of and abuts the new Katahdin Lake parcel that belongs to the Bureau of Public Lands. I have it from a pretty good source that this land Quimby wants.

From what little information that is being made public on this latest land deals with Quimby and the state, the BPL was part of the negotiations. It may very well be that this was another "behind the scenes" deal no of us will ever know about.

If Quimby ends up with this land along with the "valley lands" the 2,000 acres that went to the DOC as part of the Katahdin Lake swap will be even further inaccessible.

If you hear any rumblings about any of this, let me know would you?

I've got a map but I have promised my life on it that I wouldn't share it with anyone. It actually may have been stolen, I'm not sure, that shows some "proposals" that Quimby has on lands around Baxter.

It is from this map that I am convinced that the lands Quimby has so graciously agree to sell the state of Maine, that she claims will be open to hunting, etc., will have covenants that access to that land will be by foot traffic only, except on the agreed upon snowmobile trails.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Her "foot traffic" covenants is bull shit! And if the State gives in to her they're crazy.

What am I saying? The Government of Maine IS crazy! She is either building her "wolf park" or planning to make a few million off of the people of Maine!

Everything here Tom, is very hush-hush but if I hear something, it will be posted here!

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This speculative information falls very much in line with everything else that has taken place in regards to the Baxter land swap, etc.

It will not be until AFTER the fact, will this information become available.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Shouldn't there be a cap on how much land one can purchase in coordination with size, location, abutment and so forth?

If not, there needs to be one that mirrors the current laws regarding monopolies. I am for land rights and I am also for business... but I think something like this where her rights infringe on the common citizen of Maine needs to be handled appropriately so that we aren't stripped of our own rights.

Verbally saying she will open the land shouldn't be good enough. There should be written and signed documentation that is legally binding to hold her to her word. ;)

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you're getting into areas I don't want to tread when it comes to limiting a person on how much land they can buy and what they can do with it.

There are of course fair trade laws that would prohibit monopolies on business, like gas stations and most of us are aware of Les Otten's American Ski Company that was limited in how many ski areas it could own in certain regions forcing him to sell off some of his properties.

I think it better if we (the state of Maine) pay attention and learn that business IS NOT as usual anymore. We still have people who believe that a conservation or recreational easement, some of which we are paying dearly for, are absolute. They are not and they can be quite easily revoked at anytime.

Go talk to a land surveyor for example and start talking to them about conservation easements and the like......YIKES!

Organizations like the Maine Snowmobile and ATVers, etc. can't assume any longer that when they get permission for trails that they will always be there.

Maine has to stop buying conservation easements or at least stop paying the ridiculous prices they are.

I'm pissed about the entire Baxter land swap for a number of reasons. It was bad business for one thing. We were lied to and screwed over. We gave up land that was just as valuable as the Katahdin land for fractions what we had to pay for the Katahdin Lake land.

They lied and said NO PUBLIC MONEY WAS USED. That's bullshit! They used $5.5 million worth of public land. What that has no monetary value.

The Baxter land swap is playing right into the hands of Roxanne Quimby. This is another reason I believe that the MDOC, Baldacci and Quimby orchestrated everything that has taken place so far. I also believe that Baldacci and all his cronies want to see the big National Park stretching across most of northern Maine. And then they will bring in wolves to really make it WILD!

This will happen before Mainers get off their lazy asses and speak up to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It's too bad we couldn't get major corporations in the hunting/fishing communities to anty-up and but around the north and west of Baxter for a hunters/trappers/anglers paradise! Make it non-profit or self-sustaining not for profit, for outdoor recreationalists including ATV and snowmobilers.

Ahh, nevermind. Just rambling on...

Who else is 'allowed' in here?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far there's just the three of us!

Your idea isn't a unique one and is being tried in other places around. Like it or not, it may be what we will all be facing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts