Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Virginia. After 9 years of trying, I finally got drawn. I was picked for Zone 10 and ended up swapping for zone 6. I have family in Caribou so this worked out well. My goal was to take a bull with the bow and arrow. So I hunted with a bow for the first 3 days. Day 1 - one cow and that was all. Day 2 - Called a bull from 600 yrds away in a broccoli field, he came within 150 yrds and disappeared into the woods. I was very pumped up watching him come across that field like he did. But no cigar. Seen a few cows that evening but no bulls. Day 3 - Hunting over in Washburn, I had 11 in one field that morning, 2 bulls and 9 cows. Put a stalk on across the field, but by the time I got to them they where walking into the woods. I closed the distance very quickly to within 60 yrds. I was standing in the field, 2 cows where standing within 30 yrds of me and the 2 bulls were fighting 50 yards just inside the woods. You would think you would be able to see a animal that big fighting in the woods but is was so thick I couldn't make them out. However, you sure could hear the dam things and see the small trees shaking. Never did get a shot. Came back to that same place that evening and took a stand hoping to catch one of the bulls coming back that evening. Around 5:00 we heard one coming down the trail, but I believe it winded us and turned around. However, when we came out of the woods. there was 3 cows within 60 yrds of the truck. Day 4 - Decided to hang the bow up and break out the 308. I made a mistake this morning. Being a avid bow hunter, I would have loved to taken a bull with the bow. However, I had my 308 Thursday morning instead. We returned to the same piece of ground in Washbourn. This time we 5 moose in the same field, but we couldn't tell what they where. So we tryed to drive around from another angle to get a better description of what was out there. Plus it was a little early yet and the sunlight was minimal. On the way around to check out the back side of the field we came across a bull a two cows along the woods edge. I decide to get out and take this bull. It was about a 100 yd shot. I got out and was easing acrooss the field to get a better shot when all of a sudden a bigger bull appear to my left. He was within 35 yrds. A perfect broadside bow shot was there and I had no bow. Anyway, to conclude this story. I ended up shooting the bull with the 308. I dressed out at 800 lbs and had a 51 1/2" spread. 17 point total w/ 3 x 2 on the bottom. I was very pleased and I would reccomend this type of hunt to anyone. Can't wait to put my name back in the hat.[/b]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yea, that sounded like a great time. Make sure you get that bow out and keep it by your side next time... :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures.....

Can someone tell me how to post pics. I would like to share a few pictures of the bull. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi Brent...

I would love to see pics...

Are they already on the web??

If so just put
after it..

If you need to upload them you can register at the gallery and upload them that way.
http://www.mainehuntingforums.com/gallery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts