Live in NJ - Visiting to hunt in 2005

Discussion in 'Welcome Mat and Lounge' started by ambushhunter, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Howdy Maine,
    I live in southern NJ and was invited to hunt Maine in 2005 with a friend of mine. I've been hunting for 30+ years and this will be my first out-of-state hunt!!! I figured I'd better find out all I can about trying to hunt Maine (its probably a little different than hunting NJ, ya think?) and stumbled across this forum. I have 10 months to bone up on the subject, so I'll be prowling the forums trying to gain some insight. Funny thing is, I forget where I'm gonna be hunting....I know it will be on the east coast side of the state. Anyway, wanted to introduce myself and let you know I headin' on up! Best Regards, Mark

2. :? After reading some of the forum topics, looks like this trip to Maine to catch a deer ain' gon' be so easy :shock: We'll still give it a try :wink:

3. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Well, hello ambushhunter! First off I'm sorry you are from New Jersey - joke intended and secondly, hunting in Maine is quite different than alot of places but once you've been here, it may be hard to return.

Welcome to the board. We don't come here often but when we do it is with worthwhile stuff so check back in. People will respond with direct questions etc. - we are pretty laid back here.

Don't forget to visit the Maine Hunting Today website. There you will find a lot of articles tips and how to's as well as links to helpful information and tons of gear.

Find out where it is exactly you are going and we'll help you hook up with people in that area.

Visit the Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife site as well for rules and regulations - find the link at Maine Hunting Today.

Come back often - I hope and let us know what ya need!
    Tom

4. Welcome to Maine Ambush Hunter! :D

Oh... and I like the name...

5. Thank you kindly gentlemen!! I will be checking in now and then. K6, I'm sorry I'm from NJ too. The deer and turkey hunting where I live is pretty good though. Its putting up with the convoluted gun laws, burnensome regulations and 50 different hunting zones (for which you need different permits @ $28 a pop with different regulations) that really bundles my undies. I put up with it because I have to. Remington,yea, that's how I end up with most of my deer, I ambush'em. Kind of a goofy screen name though. See you later, Ambush

6. I'm trying to stop in once a week and man, this joint is dead, dead ,dead. I ain't givin' up on you though!!! See ya next week, Ambush

7. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Don't give up on us man. It's just a slow time of year.

8. Yea it is usually quite dead around here except for a few guys.

Maybe it will pick up a bit someday... :wink:

9. I'm just funnin' ya'. I know its a slow time of year. I ain' leavin' :D

10. Hey All! I thought I'd update this old post cause I haven't been here in awhile. Unfortunatly, I never did make that Maine hunt. My friend that has the sister there, well, crapped out on me. I'm still chasing the fine deer down here in southern NJ for now and will be bow hunting in the next couple of weeks. I really must schedule a hunt at Marks' hind-site place. I'd love to have a chance to hunt SOMEWHERE other than NJ for once in my life. Maybe someday, soon hopefully. I see the site has grown somewhat since I've been here last, great job guys. Thanks for the e-mail Steve and Tom, I entered your Maine Hunting Today scope give-away by becoming a card carrying member. Hope you all are doing well and have a good year of hunting. Talk to you soon!! Ambush