Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My younger brother (23 yr old) has a antlerless permit for 23. I am trying to get some acess to land/deer for him. he works alot and we are very safe hunters and will be willing to help out for access.. thanks hunters, mfm

·
Registered
299 Posts
I recommend just taking a drive through some territory down that way. I know Dixmont has a lot of unposted land, as well as Newburg. One of my customers hunts in the Unity area and although a lot of the farmland is posted he gained access from several places simply by knocking on some doors and asking for it. I guess in Unity as long as they know your not from the area they'll let you hunt, but the farmers don't seem to like each other too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Frye Mountain Wildlife Management Area. Google on Frye Mountain and you will find maps and a boat load of information about the area. It is all public land that belongs to the State of Maine. It is on map 14 of the Maine Gazetteer. The gazetteer says that it is 111 acres, but the IF&W website says it is just over 5200 acres. I try to hunt it at least once each season, but it is a two hour drive from my home. The terrain consists of overgrown farmlands, lots of oak and beech ridges, and some big woods. There is alot of ATV traffic so you will have to get off the beaten path. Lots of good huntable land though, as the ATV traffic is on the roads. Also, after Maine day, there are alot of out of staters roaming the woods. Again, most don't get too far from the road. It is a great place to go see. On your first visit, I would take an ATV, if possible, so you can cover alot of ground in a short time. The local ATV club maintains the trails, and part of the paved road is a designated ATV trail. Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts