Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maine Hunting Forums/MHT is going to be hosting a Postal shooting competition. What, you don't know what a postal is? A postal is a shooting competition in which the competitors do not meet, but rather compete via mail by shooting at their own ranges (or backyard or whatever) and then mailing in the best three targets. The rules are quite simple and are as follows:

1. There are two classes to compete in:
1. Optics
2. Iron sights
2. The distance is 100yds and you must use our targets which are available here
3. Any rifle is allowed except target/varmint rifles. Hunting, milsurp, .22s, whatever.
4. No bench rests! The Forearm may be supported, but no rear sandbag or craddle rests.
5. You may shoot practice targets as many as you wish. Send us the best 3 for scoring. 5 shots per target.
6. On back of each target, please print legibly the following information:

Name

City & State (country)

Email address

Rifle used

Ammo type

Score

7. Score your own target and we will check it. More info on scoring here
it is about half way down the page.

8. Send targets to:
PM for address

Deadline is AUGUST 15, 2007. That is plenty of time to get out and practice.
9. Winner gets bragging rights
10. Have fun

·
Registered
558 Posts
Real Qestion. My .300 is still in SC. How long in the comp? I will be there in 4 week. Other than that the only rifle I have here is Dylan's .223. Is that legal?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cool! Can we do it with two different rifles? Like can I send in one set of 5 shot with my Browning Abolt and one with my .50Beowulf? I have never done a postal match, but have wanted to. This a great idea, and next time maybe everyone could pay a small fee for the targets and there would be a prize? That is the way most do it, but of course then you moght get dishonesty running around a little, just to win.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ccobbett: You have until June 21. And any gun other than a target/varmint/match rifle is allowed.

Curlymaple42: You can whatever you want you can 3 different rifles if you want.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sweet! I just downloaded the .pdf, printed one out, and am having my wife copy a dozen tomorrow at work! I am assuming the target is designed to fit onto the 8.5x11 paper and the sides are a little cut off? I just want to make sure. I won't probably get to shooting until after April as I am busy as hell in April!! I guess it is a good thing though. I will be taking a WHOLE day to shoot when April is over, plus a few sneaks to the range (10min away) here and there too in May.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it is an NRA standard target. It simulates their 200 yard rifle target at 100 yards (i.e. it is scaled down). You can buy the real thing and get all of the circles, but why do that when you can get the important parts a nd print it off yourself?

I figured people wouldn't be able to get out shooting right away, but may and june are good months to get out. Tell your shooting buddys about it, the more people the better.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol. I think I will be able to tell the difference, but you are welcome to try, but remember you are including your name and address on your entry....:twisted:

But seriously I need your guys' help to spread the word, a stamp is like 39 cents, and while there is no prize it will cost people less than a cup of coffee to participate and then they can see how well or crappy they shoot compared to others without the pressure of them standing right next to them. I would like to see 30+ people, kids too, I mean what the hell why not what is there to loose?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Heck, we get enough people involved the next time around there might be a prize. ;)

But I am not gonna give a prize to the best shooter out of 4. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good, the more people the better. It will be interesting to see how many people we can get to participate.

Oh and as far as prizes go (I think I saw curlymaple mention something about them) , I saw that at surplusrifle.com they have a random drawing from the names of people who sent in targets to decide who gets prizes, I am assuming this is to discourage cheating.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Let's do it for mid August. I didn't get any submissions.

Let's move the deadline to August 15th!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What happened to this? I guess it was not a good idea with this board. Nobody sticks around. What did we have like 3 people who said they would participate.

Steve, we need to generate some interest. We need to start some debates or something to get people to come to the board.

·
Banned
765 Posts
I wouldn't blame the Postal Match idea not working on any perceived "slump". This idea has been around for a few years here and in the end no one has stuck with it long enough to actually make it happen.

Membership highs/lows hasn't seemed to affect that at all.

I do think it's a great idea though, if we could ever get enough dedicated folks on board with it for long enough, it might just work, lol.

Rev. Jeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts