Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start posting those field bombers you guys are getting.

Here is my opening day gobbler. I woke Dylan up at 3:30 to go pop a squat on a corn field where we had roosted 5 toms Sunday night. On a side note the roosting was a blast. Dylan and I got the the field at 5 pm and parked the truck where we could see the whole place. We popped in a Real-Tree turkey video in the DVD and settled in to eat some Wendys burgers. It was a real party.

At any rate we got up and got ready. We had to get there early and hope to get it done fast as we both have school at 7am. My wife was very skeptical, saying things like "he had better not fall asleep in class because of you."

We tip toed across the cornfield and got set up about 30 minutes before sun up. You would be surprised how long it took to get everything set up. My friend Chris Calias was also there to film and help set up, and it still took almost an hour.

Our goal on this hunt was for Dylan to call in my bird. He had been practicing with the Phantom-mini by Extreme Dimensions for about a month and was ready to let it bark.

The birds starting gobbling in the tree about 5:30 and I told Dill to do a a few yelps. The birds lit up and so did the spud's face when he realized he was making them gobble. The birds hit the ground about 5:45 and Dylan called about ever 30 seconds. They were coming fast. A few more calls and the 5 toms were 5 feet outside the blind, screaming their heads off. I think the boy was getting scared to call. The whole blind was shaking every time the toms let loose. The problem was they were on the side of the blind and not out in front. It took 3 minutes before they finally filtered out into the field. I had Dylan get them gobbling a few more times and then took aim.

6:10 and a 21lb Tom was on the ground. Lots of fun.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Nice time. Great story. Fabulous pics. Envy, envy, envy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey Chris you never stop.. :jammin:

Awesome photos man.. priceless!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
that is an awesome story....always look forward to hearing about your outings with your son.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well we let the kiddo sleep in this morning (to his protest). I went out to call for my good friend Bryan. He is a teacher here at the high school where I work (that explains the tie under his camo).

I have been hunting with Bryan for years and he always gets what he is after. But in the last few years he has had trouble hunting. He is just now starting to recover from a successful battle against cancer. However through it all, his love for the outdoors has not wavered. He was not 3 weeks out of the hospital last fall and chasing ducks and deer. Bryan had to change a lot about how he hunts due to some limitations from his recovery, but he still get up and out to chase critters.

For years we have been trying to get a tom to the decoys. Bryan has had like 1 million jakes temp him over the years and he would never pull the trigger (and I begged him to several times). The toms always got by us. Next day, he would have to be to school early or something. Sure enough the toms would just walk out and kill themselves for who ever I was with. We seem cursed.

Well this morning should inspire all those who hope success will someday find them. At this point we were hunting with the vigor of the frog choking the sea-gull as it is trying to avoid being swallowed. We got the the field at 3:30 and got the blind set up, decoys out, and had plenty of time to talk shop. By 5:30 the birds were gobbling, but seemed to be going around us.

Sure enough they were coming in from behind (this always seems to happen). I got aggressive with the call and 6 long beards lit up and started our way. I told Bryan "first strutter you see, cut his head off." 30 seconds later, bang...flop and the king was on the ground. He had taken a bird we have been after for 2 years. 22lb 9.5 inch beard (but a brush, I need to get a better photo), and 1.25 inch spurs. It was a great ending to a story with way too many chapters.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Another great story with pix CC. Congrats Bryan - now get back to work. Them poor little darlings need you!!;-)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This morning Dylan and I were lucky enough to be with Wyatt Esheman (are 10) for his first turkeys hunt. It was fast and Furious this morning. We arrived to find the blind I had set up last night had blown across the field not 80 yards from where the turkeys were roosted.

I eased over there and retrieved my blind and got it set back up in the field. By 5:30 the birds were all fired up and coming hard. I was using my Extreme Dimensions call and the yelp was plucking the fruit off the turkey tree. The birds came to about 20 yards and then started to filter off tot he right. I moved Wyatt's shooting sticks and he took careful aim.He asked if my gun had any kick. "oh no, none I said." I am a teacher I lie to kids every day. BLAM!!!! and his first tom turkey was on the ground. Dylan and Wyatt took off running to see the bird. Dad and I were not far in tow. A great morning, one we will not soon forget.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Congrats Wyatt! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, Saturday was a low to a high day. I took out my friend Ed. He is the father of the 10 year old I took out on Friday. After seeing his son smash a big tom, he wanted to give turkey hunting a try.

Friday night I hit all my "go to " spots and found no birds to be had. I then took a drive to check some old spots and found 5 toms hanging in the back of a long strip field. I tucked them into bed and went in after dark to look the place over and figure out where I wanted to set up.

The next morning Dylan, Ed and I were set up in the blind, birds were gobbling, and the decoys were out at 20 yards. I did some light calling and the birds came down and right to the decoys. Sounds too easy,......YUP, ED missed. We are all not sure how, but there was no chicken doing the upside down bicycle dance.

So off we go. Between 5:40 and 8:00 am we set up 4 times and got beat up 4 times. By 8:00 am Ed had to be home so we headed that way. 300 yards from his house is a large field I have seen birds in the past. I stopped and belted out a call. Walalalalalalalalla. Bird lit up. We ran down to the tree line and set up on the bottom of the field, hoping to draw the tom out and down the field. After 10 minutes the bird went quite and I thought he was coming in silent. After 15 more minutes I gave up and went over to Ed and admitted defeat. As we were packing up I called one last time and the bird gobbled from straight back in the woods maybe 200 yards.

We moved to the side of the field and started calling again. The Tom had tried to circle us. After 10 more minutes of aggressive calling, the tom popped out in front of Ed at 45 yards. Blam, and Ed had his first Tom. We joked that the first Tom had just been too close.

Ed's son Wyatt's Tom was still hanging. So we were able to get some great Father-Son photos. I think those two are hooked on turkey hunting for life. Ed went out last night and bought some calls.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Congratulations!! Persistence paid off. Way to go CC.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This morning I took out my friend Al. He had this crazy idea he was going to use a bow. Not that I am not for the bow. But Al has not taken anything with his bow before. Turkeys are one of the toughest critters to kill with an arrow. I tell people to work up to turkeys. Lets just say I had him bring the shotgun "just in case."

We set up on 4 toms we had roosted last night. They were all fired up and things were looking good till a real owl landed in front of us and started hooting. Since turkeys and owls don't get along so hot. The birdies flew down and went the other way.

I had to be to school by 7:00. So I hit one quick spot on the way home at 6:35. A Tom lit up and I had just a few minutes to drag him into a log landing. The bird wanted to play and at 6:45 the Tom was down. I snapped this photo and headed for school. My clothes were under my camo, so a superman change and off I went. The turkey has about 1 inch spurs, 10 inch rope, and might go 19lb. (notice the weapon)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts