Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody here collect milsurp guns? I have read that it is growing in popularity, I don't do it personally but have thought about picking a rifle or two...
So how about the rest of you anybody got a milsurp rifle?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Getting a C&R FFL is a great thing. Having rifles and pistols (50yr old milsurp) delivered to your door is awesome! The best part is that you get dealer discount at MidwayUSA, Numrich, Brownells, etc. So the small fee you pay for the C&R is paid for very quick! Most of the sick deals on Enfields, Mausers, etc are gone, but you still can get some decent rifles for $100-200. The CZ52 pistols in 7.62x25 are just over $100 and are a very powerful pistol for the money. My thumb nudges the safety on though when rapid firing, so I don't have any anymore. Check out www.cruffler.com for some good info on the FFL. Let me know if you have any questions though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody have a Mosin Nagant? They are running around $90-100 but I am not sure what you should look for when you go to buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mosin-Nagant

I have Mosins. They are not expensive and the ammo is cheap. 91-30s or M-44s are common right now. Look for a good bore if you can see past the cosmoline. If you can find one that doesn't look like a fencepost that's good too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New here but thought I'd throw in my .02.

I bought an m44 from Maine Military in Brewer for $100 and 880 rounds of Yugoslavian surplus ammo from Sportsman's guide.

I was really impressed with the Mosin, it shoots very well even with the cheap surplus ammo. Just have to really clean the gun well so the barrel doesn't corrode due to the corrosive primers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reloading is great! I reload for my 303brit milsurps and am going to be reloading for the 7.5Swiss soon (K31) for a friend. It is a small to large investment to start, but once you got a good single stage press and all the various tools, it is easy to do and lets you shoot more! Tell your wives that it makes it cheaper though...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Military surplus rifles are great fun. I had a collectors license for 6 years but let it expire last month. In that time, I bought about 15-20 milsurp rifles with it and I shoot them alot. I paid less than $100.00 for some of them, yet they are among my most accurate guns. Obtaining reloadable brass in some calibers can be an issue, but generally you can find most calibers. I shoot low powered cast bullets almost exclusively and minimally resize fired cases so my brass lasts almost forever.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeh, the C&R thing is DANGEROUS for us gun enthusiasts! I just sent in my renewal. I should have bought a Swiss K31 when they were $85. Now they are $200. I have a restored one in my safe right now waiting for the owner to pick it up. WOW!!! Beautiful! I have a good friend who is now in NC who restores old rifles and is an M1 Garand armorer. He is shipping ME a Garand next! WUHOOO!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts