Moose Season Starts

Discussion in 'Maine Moose Hunting' started by sremington, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Good luck to all the moose hunters. Please send us pictures and stories to editor@mainehuntingtoday.com

We will assign credit to all photographers and story authors.

2. Moose

Moose

How was opening day? Anyone hear about any big ones getting tagged?
    Looks like it was a wet one today.

3. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

I've been scouring for reports and can't find any yet. Yes it was a rainy one. Should have some reports to put up today.
    Check the blog first. That's where I'll put them up first and then I'll come over here and post.

4. Moose

Moose

5. Moose

Moose

BD story

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/templates/?a=120929

My question is does it put hunting in a bad light when everyone focuses on shooting one in the road? I realize the reality of the situation and my first one we saw walking across a field and I let it walk up to roads edge before I shot it. I was prepared to get it out and I will be this time as well. I guess I read that story and makes me wonder about how we may word things when we talk to others especially the press.

6. Moose

Moose

Well I heard that a friend of mine took his daughter out, she got drawn for a Bull Sept zone 3, and she dropped a dandy Wed Morning. She got a 751 pound Bull moose 24 pts 47 inch spread. This is her first Big Game animal. My niece went up and help skin it :) Don't think I won't put her to work on mine ;D I've yet to see a photo.

7. I have been seeing lots and lots of moose being tagged from Zones 1 and 2. Went to Presque Isle last week and saw 5 bulls (being tagged or one trailers) between the hours of 11am-1pm.

Saturday partridge season started, we saw a young bull in Zone 1. Some frenchman chasing it down the road. If only I could have been driving and got out to tell him off!!

Heard of a few real nice moose tagging in- will try to find out more. Seems like all the outfitters up here are getting their hunters tags filled..

Bird season isn't looking so hot so far, but it is normal for the first week. Saw enough to have taken our limits, but they are very sketchy birds.. Maybe just becuase of the wind too though. Got four. Most peopel we talked to hadn't even seen any... Guess they weren't looking too hard if we saw close to ten..

Moosetowner

8. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Hunting moose from the road is one of those things that won't get a lot of media simply because most of it is relegated to the back roads some place BUT there are alway turdheads who tend to make a bad name for the rest.

It is nice to hear that people are getting their tags filled. The press has been eerily silent about this year's hunt. Maybe the new is finally wearing off.

I have heard that this years grouse season might be a bit sparse except in northern Maine.

Okay folks! One week from today the second season begins.

9. Moose

Moose

End of day 0ne no moose as of yet. Passed on a small bull about 1030. he came into a cow call. Weather has not been great and it doesn't look like it will improve much either.

10. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Thanks for the update, Moose. Keep looking. The big one is just around the next corner.