Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I can honestly say I was on my best turkey hunt ever. Sorry this is so long, did not know what to cut out.

It started Friday night. Nate had a chance to take a 10 year old out in Maine Saturday and I wanted to take out my friend Ed~ here. The plan had been to take Dylan out in NH all weekend, but now were were changing the plan. It was a good teaching tool. I got to sit down with Dylan and explain why were not taking him hunting in NH Saturday. Basically, I asked him what would be better? For him to get his third turkey of the year, or to help someone else get their first bird ever. I thought this was a good concept to get across to a young hunter. I am very aware Dylan gets to do a lot for his age and I do not want him to get spoiled.

At any rate, Dylan was more than happy to stay home and go with Ed on Saturday. He was more upset about not being able to play with Nate's son Tyler Friday night. But I assured him we would be there Saturday afternoon and hunt NH on Sunday.

Saturday morning Nate's young hunter got his Tom, and Ed got his tom, and by 3 pm were were all in Sanford resting up for roosting that night.

As luck would have it, we did not find one male bird Saturday night. And could not raise a gobble Sunday morning. NH is a tough hunt and can humble even a veteran hunter fast. The kids were still in good spirits and we just kept plugging away. Spot after spot, we could not raise a bird. Nate and I decided to give up on our area and go troll new dirt. We moved to an area Nate had not hunted in 4 years. There was more agriculture (that is what I like to see).

On the way there we came across a field with a few jake and a tom. Game on!!!!! and we bailed to low crawl to the bottom corner of the field. We got set up and the birds started moving our way. The jakes popped up about 40 yards away and the tom stayed in the back about 60 yards out. I told Dylan to get on the lead jake and mow him down. Dylan pointed the~ gun toward the jakes and told me he did not have a shot. However I noticed where his eye were looking. The birds milled off and no shots were fired.

We headed to get some breakfast. I told Nate I thought Dylan was focusing on the tom, although I said he would never admit it. Nate turned around and asked Dylan what bird he was trying to shoot. "the tom" he answered. So much for my theory. I pulled him aside and let him know that this was a state that was tough to hunt and it was OK for him to shoot a jake.~ He said he was holding out for a tom. I let him know that might mean he would get nothing. He said he had already got a bird~ and that was OK. "its about having fun dad" he said, with a smile to remind me how many times I had said that to him. Sometimes he just cracks me up.

We continued on and finally came across two toms. They were on posted land and working down a river. We drove a mile down the road to a farm and go permission to hunt the farm and down to the river. We worked back about half a mile, walking and calling until we came to the edge of the posted land and could go no further. There was a powerline there so Nate hit the box call. The powerline ran the lenth of the river. We could make out a faint gobble about 6-800 yards down the powerline. We set up the decoys, the spud, Deven and the camera, and Nate started calling. The birds came about 300 yards and then hung up down the powerline. I started calling and Nate jumped in. We sounded like two hens fighting. The two toms sprinted down the line right to the decoys. I had Dylan propped up against a tree with some pines in front for cover. He had two shooting lanes and the two toms were right between them. Nate could see them and Deven was getting great film, but we had no shot. Then the toms started working away from us. Nate and I began calling again and the two gobbled their fool heads off. One went into stut and Dylan whispered to me he had to make a move to get the shot. I was pinned down, so iI said "go for it." He made a small adjustment to his left very slowly. I asked " can you see him now?" I heard "YUP" and then BANG!!!!!! The tom flopped and we bailed. All of us were high fiving and hugging. It was the culmination of a lot of time, devine luck, and effort.

BUT I am not done. As we sat around recalling the hunt and playing with our calls. I heard another bird gobble from behind where we were sitting. I asked Nate to hit the box again. Sure enough, Tom gobbling. Nate was up next. Dylan told him to take his .20 gauge and he asked if I had another shell. I rummaged through my pockets and found just one. Deven set back up with camera, Nate and Tyler sat down, and Dylan and I went across the powerline and started calling. I was calling to beat the band. I wanted to keep the bird stimulated after having heard the shot only 10 minute before. I just about wore a hole in that slate call. Five minutes later another big tom was in sight. One well placed shot and we had two big toms on the ground, from the same location, all inside 30 minutes. Craziest thing that has ever happened to me. Deven got the whole thing on tape.

Dylan's Tom was 23.1lb, 1 1/16 and 1 inch spurs, 8 inch beard. Nates was 11 inch beard, 21 lb, 7/8 spurs.

Here is some rough cut video. The creaking you hear is what happends when you put a $4,000 camera on a $19.95 tripod. Its reality tv.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6amayKE6s[/YOUTUBE]

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is Nate's write up he just e-mailed me to post. He is having trouble getting on from work.

This is one day Chris and I will never forget ! With out a doubt the one of the best filmed hunts we have tapped. Dylan Cobbet still had a New Hampshire tag to fill so Saturday night we loaded the Tyler and Dylan in the rig and headed over to roost a bird for Dylan to hopefully get a shot the next morning. We never dreamed what would transpire the next day . We found a bird roosted him and the next morning he never said a peep so off in the rig again to make some magic happen for this youngster. Tyler and Dylan were in good sprits saying its just about having fun and if we get a bird that's just a bonus . ( Chris and I looked at each other proud that's all I can say ) Well at about 9:30 am I decided to head to someplace I hunted years ago. On the way in to the place I noticed allot of posted signs but teaching our kids the right way we went and asked the land owner . He was super nice and told us he had sold some of his land but we could hunt just not on the posted end of the power lines . So off we went with the boys hoping to make someith happen. I started off using a box call to get the calls out there to locate any birds. Way off in the distance on the posted piece we could hear a faint gobble. We quickly set up and the show was on Dylan was set and ready . Once the birds closed the distance Chris and I switched gears and started calling like two hens battling well that's all it took and two long beards ran to the decoys 18yds away from Dylan . One tom went into strut and that's when Dylan let the hammer down on him ! We all went running with excitement to get to Dylan's bird . Tyler and Dylan were hugging and it was awesome . This is where it usually ends but this hunt takes a different turn. We are talking about the hunt and our excitement when I hit the box call again and 200yds away a bird Gobbles ! Dylan say's uncle Nate take my gun get your bird so I asked Chris do you have a shell he had one left. We quickly set up leaving Dylan's bird in the decoys and Chris and I started calling . Gobble and he was on his way . I stopped calling and Chris started calling like a banshee . The Bird was going nuts and walked into 30yds for a great shot . With a pull on Dylan's little 20ga the hunt was over and what a story it was!
Dylan's bird came in at 23lb 8 1/8 beard 1 and 1 1/16 spurs Mine came in at 21 lb 10 3/4 beard 7/8 spurs WOW what a hunt and all on film .
We are very proud of our boys . Take a kid out and you will see the excitement words cant describe.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Chris (and Nate) sounds like an awesome time. Great photos and thanks for sharing this with us.. ;)

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Good deal!! I got to come back later and reread this check out the photos and watch the video. Wife is calling!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts