Rattling and calling in Maine

Discussion in 'Maine Deer Hunting' started by BrowningA5, Mar 2, 2006.

1. How many of you Mainers Rattle? It's worked well for me. Also, how often do you grunt or bleat?

2. Hi A5, I talk to deer quite often, but I rarely hear them talk back! I have called many deer and I think they respond well in the fall.
    I have had less success with rattling. It seems to work better for me arter the rut like December/January.

3. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Welcome maine/kansas! I've never had much luck with either but I've not stuck it out for very long nor had anyone teach me the ways.

At first I thought maybe you were talking about the beebee in my head rattling around.

4. I use a grunt tube quite often with some success. The buck I shot this past season I got only because I heard him walking in the distance, after a few blows on the grunt tube he walked straight to me. I shot him at less than twenty yards.
    I have tried rattling with only moderate success, never taking a deer with that method.
    I heard a guy set up for rattling this year and I think he over did her a little, It sounded like someone swung open the gates to jurasic park. :shock: There couldn't have been a deer within a mile of this guy.

5. :D Rattling works best during the rut when you are trying to attract a dominant buck in a given area. He will come to see who is fighting for "his" does. The grunt call I use lets me imitate young bucks, does and older bucks. I prefer to use the young buck calls to draw a bigger buck and the doe to let him know why he wants to chase off the little buck. I have taken 3 deer in 3 years, talking them to death.

6. That's probably why I haven't had much luck other than the fact I don't get out much but a few times each season since I got married. I never use a call and maybe it would change things a bit if I did.

7. I've had success with a grunt. I always carry one with me. Its great if you know there is a deer close but can't see it. I've had a lot of luck with a bleat can. The bleat can works best for me early in the season. As far as rattling goes I've really only given it a good shot once and drew in a big doe. There's just something about making that much noise while I'm in the woods that keeps me from doing it often. I have heard of guys that have had success with it. These guys used the extreme dimension game calls.

8. I've thought about using a grunt, but never think to bring it. I hardly have a plan prior to going into the woods like I used to. Now, I just go take a nature walk and hope to jump a few whitetail.

9. I wouldn't go to my stand without a grunt and bleat can. If anyone is interested in tagging a doe early in the season the fawn bleat is the way to go. For bucks, I agree, using a young buck grunt is also the way to go. Also, two years back in Maine I starting using the bleat can along with the grunt tube. I did it one early morning during the rut and not 30 seconds later a doe came running out of a swamp with a nice buck on her tail. One grunt later the buck stopped and was mine. I would say, out of the last 10 deer I have shot 6 or 7 have been called in.

10. Here's a trick for all the non-believers who think deer calling is bunk. Find an area where does and bucks are known to hang. Go in early season..no weapon...full camo and a video camera. Use a fawn bleat and blow it like a wolf is tearing you to pieces and mom needs to get there quick. Watch the show as every doe with and without a fawn comes in on the fly.
    WARNING: COYOTES love this call and I have had bears come in looking for the free lunch too.