Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2007 the anti's are coming back to maine to change our bear hunting traditions. I'm reday to do my part are you?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Fill us in on how you know this is going to happen would you. I've not heard a thing. I'd like to be enlightened and which group or groups are involved?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peta and several other groups have vowed that they are not defeated in Miane. The closeness of the referendum showed them that they only need to convince a few more urbanites and we could lose out traditions to misinformation. The bangor daily posted an article in which one of the referendums authors vowed he would be back in 2007 if he lost.
I take the threat seriously.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I read the threat as well. As yet, these groups are very quiet. I've got to go contact my guy in Oregon and see which groups out there are going after bear hunting. I believe the process may have already begun.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
It is my understanding in talking with my contact in Oregon, that as soon as the fish and game there releases their proposed bear management plan, the antis will file a lawsuit to ban hunting of bear completely.

I don't know which groups will be named on the suit but the bear management plan is expected out after the first of the year.

We should be reminded that some hunting groups in Oregon sent money to Maine to help us in the fight to save bear hunting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What ever happened to stopping these types of lawsuits? Someone murders someone with a gun and its the gun manufacturers fault. Pam Anderson doesn't eat meat so no one else should. Its just ridiculous, a waste of time, and money.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
One of the reasons in my interviews with the Maine gubernatorial candidates was to ask them if they would support a Constitutional Amendment to protect the heritage of hunting, fishing and trapping. All three said no they wouldn't, although I believe it was Woodcock who said that if the people wanted it, he wouldn't stand in their way - how big of him.

What makes their responses so hypocritical is that they oppose an amendment because they don't want to take away the right of the people to petition the government but that same mentality isn't stopping them in passing amendments for gay rights, abortion and a host of other progressive ideas.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maine Hunting/Fishing Heritage and Trapping Rights Bill

Let's start a referendum right here ....right now !!!!!!
We need to collect sigantures to force it into a vote............... how about another poll Tom!!!!!

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
While not opposed to the idea, it would be extremely beneficial to get as many legislators to support a bill of this type. At one time I sent out feelers and got no responses back. Most are afraid of the lame excuse that it takes away the right of the people to petition the government. I argue that it doesn't. What it does do is create a situation where it's no longer a simple major vote.

If at this moment in time, 2/3rds majority of the people of Maine wanted to protect the heritage of hunting, et. al. , then so be it. It would require that same vote to reverse it. To me it would just slow down or eliminate the needless lawsuits that are costing all of us big bucks.

There would be two ways to approach this. 1) is through referendum. This would force a vote by the people. Majority wins. 2) Introduce a bill, a Constitutional Amendment, that would protect the heritage against such suits. This would require a 2/3 majority approval by both Houses.

The amendment would carry the most weight although it would be the most difficult to pull off. The reason for the weight carrying is that it would clearly show that an overwhelming, 2/3, support this action and it shows the lawsuit seekers, aka the antis, that the people AND the government of Maine believes in hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.

A referendum vote would bring in the antis to wage a campaign to convince Mainers against such an act.

The bottom line is it would be an awful lot of work and one that at this juncture am not prepared to undertake.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The antis are definitely going to ease their way in. They will start with (already have) with types of trapping. Then if they can get the laws to budge a little they won't stop.

I feel we all have a duty to make the general public aware of the realities of hunting and fishing.

Take a child hunting. Take two.

But heck if somebody is up to the task to start writing an amendment I will definitely support that. But I usually don't vote YES on amendments. I know others who just vote NO on them as they feel things should not be amended and changed from the original constitution.

So in this sense it might be more difficult to amend.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
SCI is actually filing papers to help defend against a lawsuit that challenges Maine's trapping program. The lawsuit challenges trapping of the Canada lynx, bald eagle, and gray wolf, in that the three species, for example, get caught in traps set for other animals.

This case could be used to attack hunting and other sporting activities in surrounding states. :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.