Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Many Of You Out There Who Dont Want A Certain Animal But Would Like To See Someone Else Get A Trophy Report An Area To Your Buddy's Get Them On The Trail

·
Registered
558 Posts
Are you asking if I would help a friend like Nate get a deer? If so.... hell no.

Just kiding Nate.

What cetian animal. It's late and I was not that bright to start with. You will have to make the question more simple for simple folk like me.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Kind of like "assist a buddy"

I like it. I would want the trophy for myself though but heck I guess I could humble myself and let my buddy shoot one for once. :???:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a couple buddies I would put in place of harvesting a trophy. I would be a lot more inclined to put a youth hunter in place. What a way to hook the younguns......

·
Registered
558 Posts
Oh ya, I love seeing other people get some critters. This spring I am taking the spring black bear season off to film my wife. She has got it in her head that next animal she wants to hunt is a black bear. So off to NB we will a go.

As for friends, here is the deal and it applys to most everyone but Nate and my son. I would give up my seat to just about anyone to just film them take a trophy bear, moose, turkey, or hog. However I am pretty greedy when it come to a whitetail here in Maine, if I have that ole boy pegged, he better watch his butt. It is still my greatest rush.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
In the end..the quest is to fool a deer. If I had him pegged and could put another hunter in the stand and let him kill the deer I would...because he would be killing it for me as well as for himself. The thrill is not in the kill....it's in the skill!!!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
In the end..the quest is to fool a deer. If I had him pegged and could put another hunter in the stand and let him kill the deer I would...because he would be killing it for me as well as for himself. The thrill is not in the kill....it's in the skill!!!!!
So well said and what a rush it is to help someone score. I put a friend of mine in a favorite tree stand in Sidney one year after a snow storm. I moved through a known bedding area and bumped a nice 8 pointer to my friend. The buck stopped right underneath his tree stand.......................He was 12 unsuspecting feet from my friend!..............Bang!

Before the hunt I had told my friend that I had patterned this buck and after the hunt he believed me!

To me that was better than shooting the animal myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mark you are so full of it. We both know you were tagged out....otherwise that dude would have been a human hounddog. LOL
Chris,:cool:
I truly had not tagged out . I just knew the bedding area and I knew where the buck would travel if I approached it correctly. My friend had no knowledge of how to approach this area and if I had sent him I would have likely set deerless in that stand. The area was bordered by I-95 near the Sidney exit. If a person approached the bedding area from the west the deer would usually exit to the east and avoid crossing I-95. This put them in a band of alders and on a well rutted trail that usually led them to a stream crossing where they would double right back from where they came . This scenario played out several times for me but I did not have an ambush set up.....................On that cold November day I did. I set the stand up one week before we took the buck. I was waiting for the first snowstorm so I could dog the bedding area. When I jumped that buck and got on his tracks I knew he was headed the way of my friend.........:gitrdone: ..Bang!

That is the rest of the story:camp5:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have had the pleasure of being a guide in years gone by...back in high school. Took Novembers off to hunt as an "apprentice" to my Uncle. Take my word for it...getting somebody in place and ready to kill a deer is harder than setting it up for yourself.... and more satisfying. A true test of your skill.... surrogacy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts