Squirrel Recipes

Discussion in 'Welcome Mat and Lounge' started by Dirigo, Mar 13, 2006.

Which taste better?

1. Grey Squirrel

100.0%
  2. Red Squirrel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never Tried it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. how do you cook the little buggers?

2. Canerod

Canerod Guest

For fox and gray squirrels, soak overnight in lightly salted water. Par-boil until tender, then flour and fry. Be sure to make gravy from the pan drippings. Larger foxes can be shredded and used as a base meat for gumbo or burgoo, really young ones are good soaked, then placed in a pan with stuffing and baked. Back home, opening day of squirrel season is almost as big a holiday as deer season.

3. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Isn't it strange that norherns were just never raised on the likes of squirrels etc.
    My old neighbor here in Florida is a Cracker who grew up eating squirrel. So much so now you can't get him too fired up about eating it.

4. Growing up I had to eat squirrels...so I could shoot the little buggers to sell the tails to Mepps. Mom hated wastefulness.......we ate a ton of fried squirrel!!!!

5. Never had it. Sounds like it might be good though.

6. Try this.........skin and cut-up into pieces(debone if you prefer)....parboil until half done.......while hot put in coverd dish with your favorite Italian dressing...as a marinade. The next day take out and stirfry with some green peppers and onions. Cook some long grain and wild rise. Place the meat and veggies over the rice.