Sunday Hunting

Discussion in 'Maine Hunting' started by kenton6, Jan 7, 2006.

Are you in favor of Sunday hunting in Maine?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Don't know if any of you attended the Sportsman's Alliance of Maine conference the other day but it seems the same subject came up again about Sunday hunting. There is still an active group wanting to see it and those opposed - I'm talking hunters.

So, the question is are you for or against Sunday hunting and why. Answer the poll question and if you would like, and I would like your input because I will relay it on to the Standing Committee of the MDIF&W

2. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Now I'll explain my reasonings for voting no.
    There has been discussion that landowners will post their lands should this happen. Maybe they will or maybe they won't.

The question didn't say whether it would include deer hunting or not. If Sunday hunting was allowed for small game, I personally do not believe that anyone residing in the state of Maine would even know the difference.

Big game is a different story. I have argued before that in the management of deer, officials target is to harverst a predetermined number of deer each season. Those educated guesses come from the gathering of data from the previous season's hunt along with other collected data.

They estimate the number of licensed hunters, the average number of days hunters will hunt, the success rate - all these factors and more. With this information, I believe that if Sundays were added into the equation, officials would have no other choice but to shorten the overall length of the season.

Maine is unlike a lot of states that have too many deer. We are an exception in that we have a bucks only season in an attempt to grow the herd.

My two cents worth.

3. i want sunday hunting. my dad is too busy during the week to go hunting and we only get one day a week. with sunday to hunt on, my hunting time has doubled. the place i usually hunt is posted anyway.

4. If hunting on sunday should be illegal, maybe you shoould be required to close your business on sunday too. The law is archaic and has no relavance anymore.

5. If sunday hunting is allowed, your deer season would have to be cut in half due to the high number of kills that would likely happen durring the first full week of hunting.
    If you think you don't get enough time to hunt now, just vote in sundays and hang your head in shame.
    JMHO.
    John

6. Sunday is a good day to target practice, line in your rifle, check your gear, scout out some hunting spots. Tell the wife it is mandatory to do this if you are to come home with a buck...

Keep Sundays closed for hunting and now your season is longer. We all know just being in the woods, sitting at camp, or just having deer on the mind is what hunting is all about.. :wink:

7. id rather have the longer season sans sunday, then we have more of a chance to hunt the rut.

8. The majority of maine residents, myself included, only hunt on saturdays. If sunday hunting were allowed, the season would be shorter, but I would actually be able to get out more frequently. Plus there is always muzzle loading season if you feel that the firearms season would be too short.

As for the rut, it is gerenally considered to begin around Nov. 15, so it would most likely fall within a shortened season.

Furthermore, most states allow hunting on sundays and find that it works out well. Why should maine continue to enforce an needless, archaic law?

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but deer are not the only animals I hunt. Since most of the small game season coincides with fall semester classes, I am not able to get out during the week, Sunday hunting would increase my opportunity to get out after grouse. I see no downside to sunday hunting.

9. Ithica,
    I believe you will see things differantly as you age.

If sunday hunting is allowed, there will be no smoke pole season.

10. I am strongly for allowing Sunday Hunting in Maine. For those "Weekend Warriors" as I call them it would basically double the amount of time the average Joe can hunt. I know that I work all week long and getting two full days of hunting on the weekend would be very beneficial.