Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here is taking a youngster hunting with them this year? I think it is important that all of us grab a kid and bring them hunting. Keep in mind who you should bring.

Set a day aside where you can bring a kid. Don't expect to get in any serious hunting, but rather prepare yourself to make the day a great and exciting experience for them.

So who are you going to bring?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm going to take my 11 year old daughter out in the blind and hopefully get her in the tree stand. I will be setting up a comfy ladder stand for her and hang-on stand for my sightly above and to one side of hers. I hope to video the hunt for her too.
I'd also like to get my 16 year old out too, since I bought both of them lifetime COMBO licenses.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter is 6 and my son is 5. I may take them out this year or next just to follow me through the woods. It could be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
489 Posts
If the kid is old enought to hunt in maine, make sure to take advantage of youth deer day because they are the only ones hunting that day and tehy can take a deer of either sex on that day with or without an any deer permit.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
One of the best ways to continue the long held tradition of hunting and fishing in Maine is to do what Jack has done - Buy your kids lifetime licenses. Many families do this at Christmas time.
It is something they will never forget and when they get older will really appreciate.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much are they?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so you purchase it before they turn 15 and then it is good for them their entire life??

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Ayuh!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:bana:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Back when my oldest was 7 and the little one was still in diapers, they were $125 and $250 for each (hunting OR fishing) depending on their age.
I feel it was the best $750 I ever spent next to the land we just bought!

I think they went up some since then.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to get off topic but how much land did you buy? Is it hunting land? :D

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
:focus: :roflpmp:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:banme:

Jack, thanks for the PM... :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have a neighbor that has a son maybe 10, wicked hyper and talks ALOT, he saw me walking home one day last Nov.and he wants to go hunting but he would not be quite.. i told him i would take him squirril hunting first.. maybe this year, i am very busy. I also have a 16 yr old step brother that i am training to hunt.. mfm

·
Registered
489 Posts
The only problem with buying a lifetime license is that they may not stay in maine when they get older. I know when I finally get through with school I am not goin to be in maine. No jobs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 13 year old daughter is a hunter. She'd rather hunt bird than deer.

When she turned 10 we took her hunting on youth day. The first 10 minutes were good. She was quiet and excited. She was a little trying the next 10 minutes. "When are the deer coming? This isn't what they do on tv. Why is it taking so long? Did you see the squirrel?" Another 10 minutes was enough for both of us. End of her deer hunting that year. We might try again this year.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, it looks easy on tv. Maine is a more difficult when it comes to deer hunting. Try taking her out on a nice day and sit on a rock. Talk to her a little bit about the habits of deer and how they are different where you are then what she saw on tv. Tell her it's all about patience.

I know my dad did that to me and though there were days we just sat there or walked through a patch of woods never seeing anything I still wanted to go back.

After I was persistent, that was then I began seeing things move all around me. A tail here, a tail there... does feeding, etc..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Steve, you bring up a good point.
buy or make a cheap blind. get some old tent poles from a dome tent, stick the ends in the ground. then buy some camo burlap and drape it over the fiberglass poles.

A friend of mine runs several convenience stores and just gave me one of those plasticore huts they store soda and bottled water in, outside the store. I camoed it up and will cut shooting slots in it. Great place to hang out with a kid while sitting on a milk crate.

One key to sitting in a blind is to be able to see 40-50 yards so that you can chat but the deer will be out a ways and not hear you.

Teach a kid to SEE THROUGH the trees by using binoculars and look for PARTS of a deer. The eye of an animal is about the only thing that is shiney black in the woods!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a great idea jack. In my book I talk about certain people who can actually turn a simple walk through the Maine woods into a heart pounding experience. All they had to do was keep talking to me and tell me the things to look for.

Another hint: before you get to the top of a knoll or crest a dirt road, turn to the child, kneal down so you are face level and whisper this to them:

"Ok we are going to make our way to the top of this knoll (use hand motions), be very silent and we will work our way slowly up to the top. Keep your eyes and ears open, there very well might be a deer standing on the other side."

Then ask them if they are ready.

This usually got me pumped. You need to take time with kids and whatever you are thinking you need to stop and whisper those thoughts into their ears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts