The 6.8mm SPC: The 5.56's Replacement?

Discussion in 'Shooting' started by Ithaca37, Sep 5, 2005.

1. I don't know if any of you have heard about the new Remington 6.8mm SPC. It is a new cartridge that some believe may replace the 5.56 as the military's standard round. It is based on the old 30 remington case which is essentially a rimless 30-30. It pushes a 115gr bullet at 2800fps. Providing more energy and better terminal ballistics than the 5.56. The .270 bullet also provides a higer ballistic coefficient which means better long range ballistics (i.e. more energy retention) and better penetration. No one is sure whether or not the military will adopt this round, but I think it is here to stay, as several companies have introduced rifles chambered for it. It is available with soft points for deer hunting.

[​IMG]

Left to right: .30 Remington, 6.8mm Rem SPC, .308 Winchester, .223 Remington.

So, does the 5.56 need replacement and if so, is the 6.8 the answer?

2. Well by golly I'm all about better penetration!

3. THE ULTIMATE SMALL ARMS ROUND:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE .50 BMG

That is a 5.56 next to the .50 bmg bullet

4. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Comparing to two sizes, the 5.56 and the .50 caliber, sure helps put it into perspective.
    It would only seem to me that if the 6.8 delivers that much more improved energy and ballistics, it would be a "no brainer".
    I have always been a bit partial toward the 30 Remington as an excellent deer rifle for Maine - acurate with good killing power.

5. I believe that if not the 6.8, something similar would serve the millitary well, provide an increase in fireppower, but still allow controllable full-auto fire.