Them Damned Antis

Discussion in 'Welcome Mat and Lounge' started by kenton6, Feb 2, 2005.

1. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

Man, it seems they are everywhere. Don't they have lives? But I heard they lost big in Maryland when I judged bounced two groups out of a court case trying to ban bear hunting there in western MD.
    Hooray for the judge. It seems he took more stock in the biologists findings then those of a bunch of whiners.

2. I wish that was the case here in NJ. The judge sided with the Comissioner of the department of environmental protection (which oversees the Dept. of fish and game) and cancelled the bear hunt this year for political reasons. They were even trying to shove through legislation now that would give ultimate control of the fish and game council decisions, based on solid science (bag limits, seasons and the like) to the D.E.P. Commisioner (to be amended at his political whim). A lot of us here put up a big stink so they withdrew it. We now have legislation pending that will reinforce existing law that leaves the wildlife decisions to the non-political fish and game council. We are picking up political support weekly. I hope it comes up for a vote sometime soon.

3. kenton6

kenton6 Administrator

That sounds like better news than what I have been hearing. You're right, fish and wildlife departments have to remain out of the political realm as much as possible. Too many emotional people trying to decide what is best for wildlife management. Anything we can do here at MHF let us know.

4. Should know more after today. The legislation is up for discussion at the nj department of agriculture sub-committee this morning. this is a step taken before its thrown into the general assembly. I was e-mailed by various hunting groups to come to trenton today for a rally but, had to work. Sounds like my brothers have it well in hand (i hope)!