Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to retire to Maine in the next year or two. Grouse hunting looks very appealing to me. But I am a newbie. So I propose to make a trip or two with a guide before I set out on my own.

I have read a lot about grouse guns. I suppose the most popular are Browning or Beretta 20 gauge O/U models. If they were within my budget, that is how I would go. I would also consider a Browning A5 Sweet 16 Lightning. But, right now, all I have is a very fine, but heavy Winchester Super X Model 1. It has a plain 26 inch field barrel into which I had Carlson thin tru chokes installed. I have skeet, I/C and mod. Although this is a heavy 12 gauge, I am thinking that I will start out with this gun to see how I like the sport and to make sure that if I ever spend the big money on an over and under that it’s the right one for me. Does this make sense? Or should I go out and buy a relatively inexpensive Ithaca 37 20 gauge in improved cylinder as a starter gun?

·
Super Moderator
20 Posts
I always see grouse on the roads on the way back from September fishing trips. They seem to be plentiful.
I'd like to retire to Maine, but my children are all settling not too far from where I am now, (northwest NJ). Grandkids in the future, perhaps, so I will stay close and travel to Maine for hunting. Almost bought property, "downeast", around Cherryfield years ago. Now I wish I had with the prices going up so much, but it's a long drive and I decided renting a camp for a few weeks each year was the best option.
That Ithaca 37 would be a nice starter and finisher in my opinion. Great classic shotgun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts