Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes you believe you are/would be a good guide and give some experiences why?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love to interact with people, spend time with them and swap stories, would be part of the camp. Spent some time with the guys that were at my uncle's camp last year and had a great time. Would love to do it!!!

SO what I believe makes a good guide is a friendly, informative person who does not talk down to his hunters like they are stupid and just acts like one of the guys in camp. Actually hunted somewhere once where the owner accused me of shooting an animal that I didn't.

And of corse, they need to know their hunting ground and know how to get their hunters on game.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of the possibilities that are asked directly to you during the oral exam of guides test, or so I've heard. Any registered guides have this question during your testing?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I never had that actual question, but was asked questions on how I would deal with multiple situations such as a hunter breaking laws, then the correct question is to inform the wardens service.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw one like that also...What would you do if out fishing with a client and you saw someone fishing within 150 feet from waterway.......

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
What would you do if out fishing with a client and you saw someone fishing within 150 feet from waterway.......

I'd tell them the fishing is better IN THE WATER!
150 feet from a spillway on a salmon river is a whole different ball game though and should be marked with a RED PIPE on each bank.

Just bustin on ya Norm! LOL

Way back when I took my test, they did ask me that question and I told them I've done it for free my whole life and never had a complaint so if I don't pass this test I'll keep doing it for free!
I also told them I liked the way peoples faces light up when it all comes together and they see the big picture.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Way back when I took my test, they did ask me that question and I told them I've done it for free my whole life and never had a complaint so if I don't pass this test I'll keep doing it for free!
I also told them I liked the way peoples faces light up when it all comes together and they see the big picture.

...... this is exactly why I want to get my guide license. I have in fact been doing it for free my whole life.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cap'n I knew I wouldn't get the correct wording....lol
Unless I have it right in front of me.
Guiding should be about bringing enjoyment to the client. Customer service is the name of the game whenever we deal with the public. Seems as though you have the right attitude and have chosen a great career.

·
Registered
161 Posts
a good guide in my opinion has to wear three hats what i call the 3 cs. the first hat is that of a captain ,your clients are looking to you to lead them in the right direction, and let them know when they on track or out of line. the second hat is that of a cheerleader, when your sports do a good job they need to be told that and even if the animal or fish that they have taken isnt a giant you still need to let them know that it is a trophy because they have chosen to take it. and last but not least you need to be a chaplin and listen to all their problems with compassion andunderstanding. that said , if you are a guide you must be good at your job, because if you arent you may as well give up the profession because repeat customers is where the money is. strings

1 - 10 of 10 Posts