Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this before on other forums and it seemed to generate some good discussions. Where do you hunt (meaning the state or region) and what is your weapon of choice?
I hunt in Maine and I used to hunt with 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot when I was learning. I've have hunted with a .303 British and a 30-30 Winchester carbine all with open sites. Shortly after the state instituted a bucks only law I went looking for something with a scope. So, I bought a Remington .308 Woodsmaster with a Redfield 3x9 scope. I like the gun except now as I get old and it appears some arthritis is kicking in, it is a very heavy gun so I need to go looking for something smaller and lighter. Thinking maybe a .30 Caliber carbine or something along those lines.

·
Registered
121 Posts
gun

I don't even know here in MS. Tom. In Indiana all you could use was slug guns and ML. I used an Moss. 835 ultra mag with a rifled barrel and a Rem. 700 ML with a 3X9X35 scope for a smokepole. Here in MS> they hunt some with rifles, some with slugs and some with 00 buck, depending on the section of state your in and the method of hunting your doing.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
30-30 Winchester

It has an open site. I am not huge on scopes especially where I hunt it is thicker than fleas on a dog's back.

I haven't practiced much with scopes as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use an Ithaca Model 37 12ga with 2 3/4in. slugs. While you are limited to 50 yards w/o a rifled barrel, it is pretty effective. Besides it doesn't get much more classic as far as deer hunting shotguns go. :D

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fired many a shotgun at deer over the years - slugs and buckshot. Even hit and killed a couple too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marlin 30-30 w/ peeps or scope

20 sigle shot with buck 00 or slugs

not a gun, but stil a deer slayer, PSE DeerHunter 55# Fixed Rocket broadheads

just some of my weapons of choice :D

Caleb

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is interesting is wandering around from forum to forum all over the country and when you land back in Maine, it's easy to tell the Mainer's guns - 30-30, shot guns w/ buckshot, open sites, peep sites.
We hunt the woods - real woods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hunted for years, and killed a few deer, using a Marlin 30-30 with a 3x9 scope and iron peep sites.

At some point I wanted more power to reach out and touch things in that special way, and I started using a .270. Great rifle, but rough on the ears as well as the shoulder. And I belated realized that here in NE Florida or SE Georgia, there's little likelihood of a long shot, which makes the .270 a bit of an overkill.

Finally I settled on a Browning .243 automatic. I still have the 3x9 scope over peep sites, but the rifle is definitely my final choice in this part of the world. It doesn't beat you up, and with an extremely flat trajectory you can still go out quite a distance and be successful. I dropped a nice 9 point year before last, at 215 yards, in his tracks with one round.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember a friend of mine bought a .270 bolt action. I helped him sight it in and I want to tell you it is hard on the ears and shoulder.
Another friend of mine bought a slightly used .243, I think it was a Winchester. What a sweet shooting piece that was. He immediately fell in love and I think he still uses it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
whats your gun

Ruger M77 Ultralight w/ 2to7 scope. 7ibs.4oz. I hunt the big woods of N.W. Maine tracking if possible, stalking mostly with family and buddies. Down on the ground with 'em is the most gratifinf way to do it! AL

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a lot of woods up there in NW Maine. Don't you get scared?
Welcome about jackal. As you can see we are laid back and like to keep it simple.
How's the hunting been for you this year?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one mean weapon that 270. It gives off a very distince "crack" when fired. Brings one down in a hurry though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
kenton6 said:
one mean weapon that 270. It gives off a very distince "crack" when fired. Brings one down in a hurry though.
Yep, yur right. It does a good job, very efficient cartridge. I was raised on the good 'ole 30-30 Winchester. Had my first Model 94 when I was eleven. But I switched to the 270 20+ years ago and haven't looked back.

Mike

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're in LaGrange. My son is in Bangor. We have a cottage on about 5 acres in the Bethel area but spend most of our time now in Florida. Is there any good acerage around you there? I am thinking of selling what I have in Bethel and getting out of the Yuppydom and buying some land nearer Bangor.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey we should have Maine Hunting Today pay for some land up here North of Bangor and then we can have guided hunts... :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lots of land up this way. It's a buyers market.

Your son is in Bangor...the site admin by chance? Greetings to you both!
Nice site you have here!

Mike

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yea me and the 'old man' run this site... :wink:

I am looking for land up that way too. Any place North or East of Bangor is good for me. Looking for 100+ acres...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll be sure to keep my eye out for any especially good deals and let you know. Can't think of any right at the top of my head, but there is a lot of land for sale up this way.

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts