Maine Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard about a new Caliber being experimented with by Pentagon......US Army....to replace 5.56. Any info?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's based on the old 30 remington case but necked to .277(270 cal.) It's the same length as the 5.56 but has ballistics like the .243 and better bullet choices. Would like to try one for my wife as a Deer Gun !!!

Help me out here............

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The ballistic coefficient of a 6.5mm projectile is the best that can be achieved, that is why a lot of countries have gone to it.

It sounds like somebody is trying to make a few million with a likely CON-JOB.

The whole reason behind the U.S. going with the .223 or 5.56mm is the "carry weight" not the killing power. It takes 4 to care for one wounded man, which takes away from the firing line. That and the ammunition weight thing is why we stopped using the '06 the .303 (.311) and the .308. The .308 is still the snipers choice for long range instant kills!

Get your wife a Remington Model SEVEN in .260 Rem. which is actually a .243 necked to 6.5mm.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Jack !!!!!!!

Any pet deer loads for the .260?

Still curious if Remington will offer the round to the public.
Would it be superior in any way to the 243?
Less kick? Better bullets?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Man, if we can get Ithaca on here, I bet he can shed some light on this stuff too. He's pretty up on all this stuff.

Hey, Ithaca! WHERE ARE YOU?????

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dirigo !!!!!!

I even have a legitimate name for the round............6.8 Remington SPC.

Wonder if T/C has a barrel for it yet?????

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Dirigo.........270.00 barrel will have to wait.
Can I get one rechambered from an existing 6mm T/C barrel ?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here I go again........ but what guns are out there chambered for the 6.8 Rem. SPC?

Couldn't get a line on a Handi-Rifle.........what is out there guys?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do to an overwhelming array of information............I'm buying her a 243. Remington Model 7.........thanks guys !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can anyone reference the Pentagon announcement...with Remington's comments that they are discontinuing the 6.8Rem SPC project. All I keep seeing is that the tests are continuing and that Remington...who financed all the R&D is still pushing it in both markets. Barret even sells upper receivers for the swap and Browning.......offers it in an A-Bolt !!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I read a piece in GUNS magazine, it was response to a question from a reader who was having a difficult time locating 6.8 ammo for his new AR-15 upper. The editor responded that the Military was not impressed with the round and the projected appears to have stalled....he stated that one of their writers was actually working on a story about the current status of the round and what Remington was doing with it in the future.

As for the 5.56 being designed to wound rather then kill, this is a myth. The adoption of the round took place during Vietnam...the VC did not utilize medics and would not have wasted resources to have two or even one soldier drag a wounded comrade off of the battle field. The 5.56 was adopted because the US required a round that was controllable in full auto, something the M14 was not. Furthermore, if full auto fire was to be used, ammunition carrying capacity must be increased to counteract the increased volume of fire. The 5.56 met these criteria and still offered reasonable terminal performance.

The 6.8 is an interesting idea, but offers no real advantage over the 7.62x39. Both are intermediate cartridges boasting ballistics and equally similar intermediate stopping power. Why do we need a brand new cartridge when we have plenty of intermediate cartridges such as the 7.62x39, .243 Winchester, etc.? And before anyone says anything about the AK-47 and its 7.62x39 as being commie crap, I want to remind you that the AK-47 is the most widely used small arm in the world. The Ak-47 and its variants are used by far more nations than Stoner's Black Rifle.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks ................. Just so much misinformation out there about it. I agree that if they were looking for an intermediate round they have much to choose from. I'm sure they can find a round that already exists......but will it work as the 6.8 was intended to. In other words.....can they just swap uppers to change it over and still use the M16 magazines?

Am I wrong or didn't Armalite offer an M16 variant in .308........how was that to control in full auto.......remembering that in ARMY terms full auto is 3 shot bursts...........not pull back until the clip is gone.( Would porting help reduce the ill nature of full auto?)

·
Registered
155 Posts
aroostookbasser said:
Thanks ................. Just so much misinformation out there about it. I agree that if they were looking for an intermediate round they have much to choose from. I'm sure they can find a round that already exists......but will it work as the 6.8 was intended to. In other words.....can they just swap uppers to change it over and still use the M16 magazines?

Am I wrong or didn't Armalite offer an M16 variant in .308........how was that to control in full auto.......remembering that in ARMY terms full auto is 3 shot bursts...........not pull back until the clip is gone.( Would porting help reduce the ill nature of full auto?)
Stoner's first design was the AR10( an AR in 308). He had to chage the caliber to something smaller because with all the lightweight materials he used on itmade the recoil too much

1 - 20 of 22 Posts