Maine Hunting Forums banner

Why Are Trappers So Cheap?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John Porter 
#1 ·
Could someone explain to me why most trappers in general seem to want to cut each others throats? In the USA there is 3 good ways to approach selling your furs. Auctions, Taxidermist, and the Live Market. Just this year I have seen the prices drop out of the taxidermy market because of the lowly trapper offering his goods for dirt cheap prices and also the live market prices have dropped in most states except one. When one use to be able to get 55-75 dollars for a xl skunk minus the stinkum--now they sell for 15-25. The live market use to pay 125-175 for coyotes and 100 for redfoxes and the greys were around 50-60 dollars--this years prices were coyotes- 50-75 and foxes went for 25-30 dollars a piece. These prices stink after you think of what one went through to catch an animal with perfect feet (no frozen feet,cuts or swelling).
Guess I just needed to vent as I can't believe my trapping bro's would resort to playing a cut throat game.
John

PS--Glad I kept me connections in the one state that appreciates a trapper who takes care of their animals and ensures a healthy critter.

#2 ·
Do tell, JP! :lol:
Greed is greed no matter what color you paint it.

#3 ·
I read this topic back when it was posted but didn't have a comment at that time.
QUESTION JOHN,

Where can I get all my furs tanned next year so I can sell them for what they are worth OR make my own outer garments out of them?
Maybe I can trade off some semi-guided hunts or a week on the water fishing smallies for tanning work next January/February!

Actually, I would probably send the so-so stuff to NAFA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.