Maine Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you as a hunter and shooter support the idea of the state of Maine building Shooting ranges in ever population center with at least 6000 citizens. Keeping in mind thare are matching funds available through federal grants. As well as local funds to tap into once it's built, in the form of user fees. The NRA would probably assist.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Initially that sounds like a terrific idea, but you know what happens when public money is involved in doing anything.

POLITCIAL CORRECTNESS - ACLU - PETA - ETC

Oh hell, let's git er done!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Screw the UCLA... They are a terrorist organization as far as I'm concerned...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Federal government takes taxes out of every sale on the premise of the Dingall-Johnson act and the Pittman- Robertson act as well. Both acts collect funds for outdoor recreation........shooting is such an activity. Although the "DJ" has more to do with fish restocking and restoration. Not to mention that people would donate land to the projects for a tax break from the town. Local clubs could raise funds to assist as well.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
I think it's a great idea

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would that matter? Only 10% of our registered voters actually vote !!!
90% register because the clerk at the town office handed them the card while the were registering their car.

All we need is to get every gun owner and Police agency to see how it would help them out. Law enforcement has a hard time finding ranges. We use that powerful political tool to our advantage and everybody wins!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would oppose such a proposal. It is not the governments place to provide citizens with recreational facilities. I would however, support the removal of the existing laws which restrict the ability of citizens to construct ranges. That is is why there aren't any, spending tax dollars would not solve the problem when it is stupid laws that have created it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That is an interesting point. I personally would support the proposal itself but I doubt it would pass. There are way too many anti-gunners right here in the state of Maine...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Government subsidized ranges?

The less government involvement in anything, the better. If free enterprise supports building a range then, do it. If not, why expect the taxpayer to foot the bill?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
""I would however, support the removal of the existing laws which restrict the ability of citizens to construct ranges.""

Other than insurance rates for a range being out of reach to all but the richest, what laws are in place to stop 'Joe citizen' from building and operating a shooting range?

I agree with your reason, just don't understand the above statement.

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Depending upon where you live, the only restrictions I am aware of are for noise. Then you get into the politics of zoning restrictions etc. which can get pretty "creative" sometimes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was refering to zoning regulations which as Kenton stated can get really fuzzy real fast.

While I habve nto tried to get a range established, I would imagine the Bangor city council would never approve such a venture. This is after all the same city council that refused to allow the police dept. to issue 1911's as they felt they were too militaristic. The US military hasn't even used the 1911 for over 20 years!!!

Do you really think a group of a$$ holes like this won't be able to find some way to prevent you from constructing a shooting range in "their" town?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
As more and more of the tree-hugging, bark-eater, anti types infiltrate and consume more and more of Maine and any other state for that matter, the likelihood of a shooting range having a chance to be established is slim and none.

It has gotten to the point in many places where you can't even discharge a firearm on your own property. :evil:

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are quite a few ranges down there, heck there are even some up near bangor, but a lot of them are trap and skeet, there are probably only two or three in the state that offer both indoor and outdoor facilities. And all of them want you to be a member of the NRA or some other organization which makes the cost of membership close to $100/yr by the time you add in both the NRA and range/club membership.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts